house smoke alarm false warning

I had one which used the same beep for both! When the battery went flat it sounded continuously. Pretty stupid really, as if you were out it would be too dead to make a noise by the time you got back.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Sure. compressed air or similar.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In my case no, only two things set them off. Falsely. fat frying and visible 'steam'.

But they don't exist in the kitchen or bathroom, so that's a matter of keeping the door closed.

I was deeply grateful they DID go off when a log rolled out of the unattended fire into the hearth...

And, as fire officer in my business years ago, and as someone who has watched his brother in law's house burn to the ground, fought by a friends who happens to be the part time fire chief, there is no way I am taking mine out, even if it did NOT invalidate my house insurance.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Keeping the door closed is a hassle.

Good reason for not having unattended fires. It's why I use gas central heating. If that wasn't here I'd get a gas tank or use electricity. Flames in your house is BAD.

Oh. House insurance? Didn't think they had such as clause.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Something wrong with the alarm then...

Personally I use mains powered interlinked ones, saves worrying about batteries etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

And if it's an electrical fire that blew a fuse?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

They have internal rechargeables (which is a building regs requirement if they are powered from a dedicated circuit).

Reply to
John Rumm

Rechargeables have a lifetime too.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

ours are mains powered interlinked with battery backup on their own circuit (non rcd side of split consumer unit) so even if the mains fuse/mcb for the smoke detector circui goes there is still some cover but I cant remember how long for.

Reply to
Ghostrecon

It's the other way around. A dedicated circuit needs no battery back up.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It was a pretty standard setup before the 17th edition came out.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Indeed - but so do smoke alarms, so as long as the former outlives the latter, there is no problem.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup sorry, my bad, missing a "not" there....

Building regs Approved doc B1 sections 1.17 - 1.18 for anyone interested.

Reply to
John Rumm

Usually several months IME.

Reply to
John Rumm

But only a fool would fit smokes without battery backup regardless of the dedicated circuit rules:-)

I still prefer to put the smokes on a lighting circuit, and with the 17th edition rules this would actually be powered by a RCBO not a RCD side of the CU.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That's a long power cut.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I thought it sounded a little silly, even for building regulations.

I know of a tosser that declared a building unsafe because there was 1 FOOT too far to walk to the nearest fire exit.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Are we still talking domestic installations?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Yes.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That's why the alarms on on a completely separate circuit.

And they beep if they lose power, for a while anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher