Hotpoint Washer problem

I have a Hotpoint 9566 washer that seems to have an intermittent problem - sometimes it flashes E10 error code. I was watching it the other night and it was on the heat/wash part of the program just before E10 appeared in the display. The clothes were cold.
Any ideas? TIA
-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Why? My Ultima has been very reliable, apart from the element going. But then I do live in one of the hardest water areas in the country. You regard replacing washing machine elements as much part of doing the washing as putting in the powder.
Christian.

When the thing works [which has been 99.9% of the time over the last decade or more] it get's the job done. No complaints. I don't really get excited about washing machines, so I'm not going to plough any money into a new one until this breaks. It's probably a simple fault. Besides, I like the electronic interface. Most washers have those horrible dial thingies.
-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Probably rinsing with cold water, but filling with hot, so stops between the wash and rinse cycles. First make sure the tap really works, take off the hose and briefly turn on the tap. If you flood the kitchen, then the tap is fine. Next, replace the solenoid cold fill valve. You can even check for voltage across its terminals at the appropriate stage first, if you feel competent to work on a live appliance. This will tell you if the wiring or controller is at fault before replacing the valve.
Christian.

Thanks Christian. I think the cold flow is OK from the tap, but will look into it properly tomorrow.
-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t