Hot or Cold water to outside tap

To put a bit of common sense back into this, I have drunk water from a cold tank - an enclosed one with no dead rats in it. That was fine.

There comes a point when certain systems are clearly a health risk (open tank in loft full of dead things) - but taking an in-extremis view that "potable" must only be supplied through food certified components and subjected to either remaining cold or being heated to 70-odd+ C is nonsense in domestic situations.

So, yes, I'd be happy drinking from any reasonable direct HW system. After all, in a typical domestic system, even "potable" water has been through many pipes and components that leave something to be desired - that rusty old street main, that bit of lead pipe under the drive... None of these would pass for a new installation, but nobody is ever hurt by it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

But a combi by definition doesn't get its water from a header tank. Unless that header tank also supplies the potable water.

So what do you think is in the water chain via a combi that is any different from the supply direct to the cold tap?

Prey tell what would be different from a combi?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, quite. If you have a bath or shower or simply wash your face, there's a good chance you'll ingest at least some water.

And for many years people cleaned their teeth using water from a storage tank. It's relatively recently that the basin cold in a bathroom is usually fed from potable water.

How do all these dead animals get into a covered storage tank?

You'd probably have to run off a fair bit of cold to be sure you were getting water from a moving supply.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm sure you could answer your own questions easily enough

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It was the uncovered ones I was thinking - still a few around.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Ours are semi covered - as in they have some rather ropey wooden covers. There is stuff in the bottom, but never sen anything dead in there

TBH, I still drink the water from it sometimes or clean my teeth. I think the risk of anything nasty occuring is low.

Reply to
Chris French