Hot-fill-only domestic appliances?

In message , Adam Funk writes

maybe, for some reason lost in history the cold feed was supplied to both machines through a splitter joining both hoses together?

Reply to
Chris French

For some peoples maybe.

We do for some things, non bio for others.

I know others families who do.

Someone must be buying all the bio powders in the supermarket

Reply to
Chris French

Yes.

Reply to
S Viemeister

The best washes start cold and steadily heat up. And Which are muppets.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Back in the day that would be hot and cold for the washing machine, and hot only for the dishwasher.

AFAICR we used to have that set up - hot fill for the washing machine to wash nappies and hot fill for the dishwasher because (in theory) it was cheaper to heat the water with gas than electricity.

Yes, I know that this doesn't work for modern low water volume devices.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I've never seen a commercial dishwasher which didn't use a very hot final wash.

Reply to
Capitol

well you might want to have a mixer and a hot feed i suppose but it does seem a bit odd. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Commercial washers are very different animals to domestic ones. Its normal for domestics to be hot at end of wash too, as I said its the best way to do it

NT

Reply to
meow2222

No one is talking about the _final_ wash temperature, but why the _initial_ wash temperature (and hence the water fill) is cold.

A dishwasher uses so little water, that the cost of heating it in the machine is insignificant.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

And apologies again for my senior moment.

Reply to
Robin

I'd say they've gone off on tangents rather than misread the question...

...possibly because no-one can explain it.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I hadn't thought of that --- maybe someone got tired of plumbing after doing the first tee, & just bought a screw-on splitter.

Reply to
Adam Funk

That would explain it. I didn't know there used to be hot-feed-only dishwashers.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I've tried those a couple of places & both times they failed. So I'd guess they never got round to fitting a 2nd appliance, or else ran the dishwasher on hot instead.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

We aren't talking about the final wash, we are taking about the initial rinse.

Reply to
john james

I'm glad I did it "the right way" & changed the plumbing. :-)

Reply to
Adam Funk

Last time I did this job it was impossible to sort the plumbing, no-one had ever found the stopcock. I wasnt going to use another self-cracking plasti c Y job so hacked some appliance hoses into a 3 way job with an assortment of not-designed-for-the-job parts available in an unfamiliar place on a Sun day.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

IIRC our first dishwasher said connect its single pipe to hot or cold feed.

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't think you are quite getting what people have been saying.

We agree that a high final wash temperature is a good thing.

However what a modern dishwasher will do is *start out* with cool water so as not to set the protein based food residue before it gets a chance to soak and soften, and the enzymes in the detergent can get to work on it.

If you have a properly hot feed to the dishwasher, then it can't do that. You potentially set stains and make them harder to remove with the first rinse, and also overheat the enzymes in the detergent lowering its effectiveness.

Reply to
John Rumm

We do... and have some with sensitive skin - but it does not seem to cause a problem.

Reply to
John Rumm