Holes in door

I've fitted a new rim lock to our front door and now need to fill in the hole left by the old one - I couldnt reuse this because the old lock had basically fallen to bits inside the door and made the existing hole unusable.

whats the best way to go about filling in a reasonably big hole in a timber door - I'm obviously going to be repainting it eventually.

Reply to
kev208

I would make a round wooden plug to fit the hole. Glue it in with PVA and then use car body filler to make good.

Reasoning being it's mostly wood and will expand/contract with the rest of the door, and car body filler makes a bloody good tough finishing seal.

Obviously if you want to varnish a natural looking door you have to make the plug as large as possible and try matching with a proper wood filler. It has been said that PVA with fine sawdust makes a very good wood filler.

Reply to
EricP

If you don't want to see it again, cover it up with something. To fill it, timber will probably be least likely to "show through" paint.

Reply to
Chris Bacon