Hole in cellar

Hi,

I'm just clearing out the cellar of my Victorian terrace. At the front (pavement side) there were a pair of wooden window frames - rotted unfortunately - but the glass is still painted with blackout paint! After clearing these, I moved all the crap from the floor and found a hole in the stone flag, about 12 inches across, filled upto an inch from the top with water. Is this a well? The water is cleanish, just years of rotten stuff in it, it certainly doesn't smell sewer-y. Is there anything I can 'close' it up with?

Any advice appreciated,

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur Dent

Most Victorian houses with cellars had a french drain under them (ie a perforated pipe laid in gravel), with the pipe leading out to a low level drain. Maybe you are seeing an inspection hole with the cover missing. In mine the drain actually has a running trap with the inspection cover being outside in a deep shaft.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

It's too small for a well anyway.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Many cellars including the pub cellar I was in on Sunday have a sump such as this. It is no more that a low point in the cellar so that any small amounts of water collecting would end up there. The pub one had a small ball valve switch and electric pump so that when full it would pump out to the storm drain others are just emptied manually when necessary

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Thanks for the replies, guess I'll just keep an occasional eye on the water level - no risk of flooding around here thankfully,

Cheers.

Reply to
Arthur Dent

How deep is it? David

Reply to
Lobster

Not checked yet, the light is on the other side of the cellar, and I couldn't find my torch! Will let you know tomorrow...

Reply to
Arthur Dent

level - no risk of

Use one of those float activated pumps used as bilge pumps on boats. Of course, you would have to run a waste pipe somewhere.

Reply to
Dave Gordon