Hippobags

These seem poor value for money in my area as a skip isn't much more and larger.

Have I missed something, like skip sizes being deceptive?

Reply to
EricP

I don't think you have missed anything.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

They're cheap if you only need a small bag, not a full skip. You can also hang onto them for as long as you like before collection.

I wouldn't say "poor value for money", they're just targetting a different market. If you really need the skip, certainly get the skip rather than multiple hippobags.

You may also find that a couple of hippobags throughout the job is more acceptable to clients / SWMBOs than a "nasty ugly skip" parked outside for weeks. You can also load a hippobag with a vertical lift from places where it's hard to place a skip. These could be useful on occasion.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The advantage of a hippo bag is that you can keep it for as long as it takes to fill, before sending it back.

A skip is rented by the day/week..the longer you keep it the more you pay.

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

A hippobag fits in my front garden. A skip does not. I have free parking outside, so this is not so much of a problem, but some people have double yellows.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Good points made to my question. Thanks people. :))

Reply to
EricP

No its not.

Or wasnpt last time the poor woman phoned up to say 'its been three months: Can we have our skip back please?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How much do you pay? I know £50 for 1 m^3 / tonne isn't brilliant vfm but if you only need that much why pay for bigger?

Also it's the convenience. I carry one of each size (midi & maxi) in the van so I can set one up when I need one (Like: "oh tish, the plaster's falling off this wall: have to hack it off and reskim; now what do we do with the old stuff?") without having to bottom around with permits and waiting to get a skip delivered.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Also in many areas, if you have to place a skip on the public highway the council will want to charge you a licence fee Per WEEK.

Reply to
Mark

And you only get it out when needed, so its not being filled up by every bugger who can't or won't order one themselves, or have waste that cannot go into a normal skip who fly-tip it into yours...

Reply to
Badger

What is a "Hippobag" ?

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick

I'm missing something as well I think.

Saw these Hippo Bags in Wickes, A one and a half tonne/metre bag was about £11 + £47 for collection. Last time I had a skip it was well over £100.

How big is a standard skip in relation?

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Pre-paid folding skip - buy them in Wickes.

It's one of the typical 1 m^3 builders' material cube sacks, but it's expensive to buy and has a phone number on the side. When you phone them up, they make it go away on a big truck with a crane.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In article , David Lang writes

6 cubes (metres)
Reply to
fred

Can I assume there are a pile of usage restrictions for example - full bag must be sited neer a road - no waste from a certain major site in west cumbria, where the reactor core is within pea shooter range of a pubic road

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Strange sexual habits in west cumbria? :-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Hi Fred

Aha! Now I see the point!

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

It is indeed that close, I have no idea why the IRA did not do a job on it when they were active .......

Rick

Reply to
Rick

That's really surprised me!! I have been using the Hippobags for over year now and have had no problems with them whatsoever. I have used th bog standard skip and as soon as I saw the Hippobag in my loca builders merchants I thought they looked ideal for me and so decided t give them a go.

I am a builder and need to dispose of a lot of waste on most of m jobs. The Hippobags have proved extremely cost effective and above al time saving in comparison to a skip. The staff are extrmemely helpfu and the collections are are arranged immediately.

I actually think the whole process is such a good idea!

-- marcgettings

Reply to
marcgettings