Help with TV please

Hi Probably not the right group but your help would be appreciated. Is there a group that deals with TV repairs?

I have just bought off Ebay a Sony Bravia KDL 40W5500 lcd TV, it has picture at the top and bottom of the screen but only vertical stripes in the centre. Tuner and audio both OK.

Any help to find the cause of the fault would be appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
chudford

Unless it was sold as faulty, contact the seller to return it for a = refund.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Might be worth checking that the problem is the same on all inputs, SCART, HDMI, computer, etc, and doing a full reset of the TV (available in the online menu system).

TF

Reply to
Terry Fields

It happens that chudford formulated :

Either the driver transistors for that section of screen, or perhaps some poor connections to the screen. If it wasn't sold as faulty, reject it and ask for a refund.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I don't think the problem is with the inputs as the screen fault is always there. I can't see the menu to carry out any checks using this because of the fault.

By the way I did buy it as faulty and am having hours of fun learning how these lcd TVs work (or not as the case may be)

Reply to
chudford

Sell it as a sea-anchor.

Reply to
1501

sci.electronics.repair

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Thanks for the link

Reply to
chudford

The drivers for the individual columns and rows of LC elements (pixels) are almost always integral and bonded to the LCD panel as a whole. It is not at all unknown for the ICs to fail, or the bonding to give way. Either way, it's not fixable without replacing the LCD panel as a unit, which is generally not cost effective. You might try just reseating the (usually) rather tiny and fiddly connector with a cartload of twisted pair wires on it, which connects the panel to the mainboard, but you would be very lucky indeed, if that cured the problem.

FWIW, most faults on LCD TV sets are not readily fixable, and service is usually carried out on a board swap basis. The main exception to this is the power supply, which is often fixable by electrolytic capacitor replacement, and sometimes the backlight inverter board, although this is often treated as a replacement item as well. Signal faults such as you have, are almost never repairable. If the fault is on the mainboard, it will be a bloody great LSI with 240 pins that's given up the ghost.

By all means play with the set, and learn a bit about them, but don't expect to be able to get a fix. I would, however, seriously warn against getting yourself any more than on nodding terms with the power supply, unless you understand the dangers of switch mode types VERY CLEARLY. They are potentially lethal, and I mean that absolutely literally. The primary side CAN KILL, so take care.

A good group for general and detailed help with all kinds of electronic equipment repairs, is sci.electronics.repair. Lots of good posters on there, very skilled in all sorts of electronic service disciplines.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily