Help please: Immersion heater fault.

"Man at B&Q" wrote in news:a553079d-d9b4-4de0- snipped-for-privacy@i10g2000pbl.googlegroups.com:

Oh, I see..

What happened was: I posted one and then realised I neded to revise, so I immediately hit the "cancel message" option in my (Xnews) reader. I received "message cancel request sent". After that, I could no longer access the message so I assumed it was successfully canceled.

I then posted version 2 of the message.

Then I relised I'd made a typo so I repeated the whole operation again (perhaps twice more).

Perhaps my messages didn't get canceled after all, since you seem to have seen them.

Apologies for the confusion.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes - I suspected there was some kind of irregular bodgery going on. I think I'll replace the switch with a single one and remove the extra cable.

I'd like to find one with a very bright light on it (so I can't fail to see if someone has left the heater on)!

Has anyone found one with a bright light (or at least, brighter than average)?

Thanks...

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Just for future reference, while your news server may honour cancel requests from you, many servers will not honour cancel requests from outside their user base. Once the message leaves your server and is on the peers, which can take less than a second, it is very unlikely that any cancel request will work. This means that once it gets off your system, it is then propagated throughout usenet as if the cancel request had never been sent.

Reply to
John Williamson

John Williamson wrote in news:9nqt9pFa0lU1 @mid.individual.net:

Thanks for the clarification. I will triple-check my posts prior to sending from now on.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

John Williamson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

That's useful to know. Thanks. After reading your comment on the short lifespan, I'm now looking for a switch that has a flashing light, or better still, bleeps, occasionally while it's switched on, but I haven't found anything yet...

Al

Reply to
AL_n

'm not sure how long lasting these are, but, like the Maplin stuff, the guarantee's for three years, and it takes me about ten minutes to change a unit like this. Or you can get kits to make LED based flashing lights that work off 240V, and put one in a box where you can see it easily, wired in parallel with the immersion heater.

Reply to
John Williamson

For reliability - I recommend the ART timers - mechanical, but las for a decade.

Reply to
grimly4

I've met some with battery back-up - but that was a long time ago.

Reply to
charles

All the ones with LCD displays have battery backup. That's what causes them to fail after five years, as often as not.

To go back upthread a bit, I wonder how long the OP or others would expect an item like this to last?

Reply to
John Williamson

For ART, read APT

grimly4