Help me get hot water again....please!!!

I have a problem with my hot water system/combi boiler. My CH works fine and hot water did until yesterday. I now have to turn the hot water taps on full to get the boiler to kick in and get hot water. Having read similar pages on the internet, could it be a problem with the diverter valve/diaphragm? My questions are... (1) do you think this

is the right diagnosis? (I get hot water easier when the CH is on, which makes sense. Also the fact that this happened suddenly suggests that the diagraphm may have perforated), (2) how difficult is it to replace the valve/diaphragm/microswitch?, (3) should I try it myself or

get stung by a plumber?

I have booked a plumber (CORGI resistered) to come round this evening to diagnose, but would like to save the call out charge and don't want to waste his time and knowledge if then I decide to do the job myself. If anyone could help that would be great.

Thanks

Roger

Reply to
roger.berry

If you tell me the make and model ill look for a solution.

good luck

Reply to
Boiler man

Hi there,

Its a Worcester Bosch 230 combi boiler. I reckon it is quite old but apart from the problem with the HW the CH works really well.

Thanks for your help

Reply to
roger.berry

The diaphragm will be worn/split - order a diaphragm kit from HRPC. Isolate and drain down the boiler, remove the 8 screws on the top of the diverter valve, replace the diaphragm and associated washers & o'rings. Reassemble in reverse order, un-isolate (is that a word?), repressurise - bingo. You will find a black button on the pin coming out of the diverter valve - this comes out during DHW demand due to the force of water on the diaphragm. You can temporarily pad this button to make it thicker, so it will once again make contact with the micro switch.

Angus

Reply to
Fentoozler

Hi there, Thanks for the useful advice. I have had a look on the HRPC website, any suggestions as to the diaphragm kit make to go for and what exactly. There are literally thousands to chose from. The boiler is about 10 years old so not as ancient as I thought. Secondly, do you think it is more likely to be the diaphragm rather than a problem with the spindle/valve?

Thanks for your advice

Reply to
roger.berry

I'm not sure that there is a specific kit for the Worcester, but a generic one (usually for Aristons) fits the older Worcester boilers also. Give them a call and they will be able to post one out (usually add £5 for P&P). They may need the GC Number - you can find this on the data plate inside the boiler.

If the valve was playing up, it is likely that the boiler would still fire up on DHW demand, but the resulting hot water would go around your heating circuit instead of going to your hot tap.

I would get a kit for around £10/£15 first and try that as a complete diverter valve costs an awful lot more.

Angus

Reply to
Fentoozler