Help installing Warmup underfloor heating please

I'm installing underfloor heating in our bathroom (tiler coming on Monday so no time to spare!).

The electrician has wired in the thermostat/timer. All that is left, sprouting from the wall, is the probe and the long wire (the heating element). I'm confused by the instructions and DVD supplied, which aren't comprehensive. (And I'm a dummy...)

I guess the probe just goes somewhere appropriate. But does the heating element have to connect to anything to form a loop, or can I just end it anywhere?

Help appreciated.

Reply to
keiron99

I fitted warmup to my kitchen a few years ago.

I seem to remember the main rule for the probe was don't cross the heating element with the probe (or vice versa). Bearing this in mind it should just go in between loops of the heating element. I think the rule was keep the heating element loops 10cm apart (or was it 5)? You want to make sure the probe is pretty much in the middle of the recommended distance the heating element loops should be kept apart - otherwise I would guess it would read wrong (it would probably read too high as you'd be too close to the heating element).

My memory is telling me that when I fitted mine the heating element had both ends terminated at the thermostatic control, this making a long loop. Sounds like yours isn't like that?

Before doing anything turn the bugger on and test that it gets warm - otherwise you'll be pretty pissed off if it's tiled over and doesn't work!

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

Just remembered, when I installed mine the instructions actually said once I'd fitted it, but before I tiled, connect the tails to a plug (so one end to live the other to neutral) and plug it into the mains to test it worked that way. I left it like this during the tiling so I could keep testing it, and the only connected it up to the control once the tiled was completed.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

Thanks Piers. I just can't see to what I attache the end of the element though. It's capped with some blac sleeving - no bare wires - and even if there were, I can't see what I'd attach them to as there's nothing else coming out of the wall.

Looks like I'll have to delay the tiler and get the sparky back!

Reply to
keiron99

I've just had a look at a recent instruction manual, here

and it looks like the more recent product is only connected at one end and the other is free. So I reckon you're OK.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

A friend of mine had a kitchen professionally fitted. The tiler seemed to have a technique of putting the grout between the tiles which involved banging a trowel in the gap, after which the under floor heating didn't work. Builder called out the manufacturer to repair the cable (it was a condition of the guarantee that the manufacturer had to perform any repair at installation time). After levering up the first few tiles and repairing the cable, it became clear the tiler had managed to break the cable at the edge of just about every tile. Builder was not best pleased with having to rip up the whole floor and do it all again...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for your time and help. I think you're right. I think what is confusing me is that the DVD they gave me is for the older system.

Still, I shall check it's working before the tiler sets about his work

- and ensure he's on top of his game too. The heating wire does however look and feel extremely durable.

Reply to
keiron99