Hedge trimmers - recommendations

I have a fairly large (> 2m tall) quite mature laurel hedge both sides of my garden (perhaps totalling 30meters or more). The cells for my current Bosch cordless are dead and I rather suspect I'd do as well replacing a slightly knackered trimmer with a new one rather than buying new cells - I'm not convinced of the state of the current blade either.

I'm happy to have a mains-powered rather than cordless. Any recommendations? Is Machine Mart a good source?

Mark (due to trim hedges sooner rather than later).

Reply to
Mark Bluemel

Did you really cut that hedge with a battery cutter?

If you can run to a professional tool, I would recommend Stihl. I became the owner of a 3m tall hedge with the house, and this makes it relatively easy to cut - I bought a long reach electric version. It's quiet, vibration-free, but powerful, and can handle larger branches than my very old (but reliable) mains B&D.

My big gripe with Stihl is the control they impose on their resellers. They aren't allowed to send products out - the customer must collect in person. That even applies to a tube of gearbox grease (although it does crop up on ebay too). Fortunately there was a reseller near to me. Resellers don't stock the electric ones, only the petrol ones (which is what most gardeners use), but they can get it from Stihl in a few days.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If you are looking for a corded trimmer I would recommend the Bosch AHS 7000 Pro T. It has a 700mm blade and can cut up to 34mm thick branches. It is quite expensive - about the same price as a cheapo petrol trimmer, but lighter, at least as powerful and a darn sight less noisy. Compared to other electric trimmers I have had this one makes light work of the toughest hedge. Have a look at the reviews.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Bartlett

I have used Stihl/Viking* mains electric hedge trimmers for years, a

600 normal trimmer and a long reach. Both are excellent for mixed hedging, conifer hedges and large shrubs. I bought the 600 after a few years of struggling with Black and Decker and then Bosch. I agree that they are not cheap but are, in my view, worth the expenditure.

I am lucky to live about 20 miles from an excellent Stihl dealer who stocks the complete range including electric (and who was happy to pop a tube of gearbox grease in the post to me).

*their electric hedge trimmers used to be badged as Viking.
Reply to
rbel

Yes, I've a smaller version of that with, IIRC, about 23mm capability. So far it's chain-link fence 0, Bosch trimmer 4 - no marks on the blade (don't get a finger or worse in it!).

Reply to
PeterC

Another vote for Viking (now Stihl). I bought mine 7 years ago, and was amazed by how smooth it is in use. I then bought a petrol one for remote use, but found that vibrated too much, and didnt get used much.

Reply to
A.Lee