Heated towel rail element ~ thermostatically controlled or not?

I'm going to change the heating element in a dual-fuel towel rail. Should I go for thermostatically controlled or not? Even though it is on a time switch, I don't much like the idea of the element heating continuously. On the other hand heaters with thermostats seem to be horrendously expensive. Also, any thoughts as to favoured brands or otherwise?

It is still working but I have to remove it from the wall anyway. This involves isolate, drain, disconnect from CH, remove the rail from the wall and then reverse the process. As it's 6yo it would seem prudent to do so now as the element cannot be changed in situ.

Thanks, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Depends a bit on if its normally covered with towels or not... If its well covered, then the thermostat may save some energy since the rail will get to a fairly high temperature quickly. Uncovered, its unlikely to be have enough power to heat the whole room (unless its very small) - and so would tend to run continuously anyway even with the stat.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks John, I suppose like all of its ilk it is only intermittently covered with towels or drying washing during the colder months. Energy consumption is not the major concern. My concern is that, without thermostatic control, the element would continue to heat ad infinitum. As it is timed for only a few hours operation morning and evening this is less of a concern. Especially as, being dual fuel, only one valve is closed thus allowing for expansion etc. It was never meant as a room heater although it is a useful adjunct to that already existing. The present thermo heating element often clocks off when room is up to temp, according to the led indicators. Nick.

Reply to
Nick