Hard disc fixing screws

Does anyone know where I can buy a pack of fixing screws to mount hard discs in PC case? I never seem to have ones that are the correct thread. Maplin sell mixed packs (not cheap though) but naturally only some are right for this job.

Reply to
Dave

Erm! PC World, A Computer shop, A Computer fair.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Take one out of an existing drive - they don`t slide around much as a rule, so you can get away with having one per drive.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Cowboy repair. That will likely increase the noise due to vibration transmitted between hard drive and chassis.

To the OP, yes, Maplin do sell mixed packs, but they also sell...

(search for "Hard Drive Screw" if link doesn't work), 50x for £1.99, quite cheap in my opinion.

CPC

sell a similar 50x pack for £5.38 (rather pricy!) or a 10x pack for £1.03 - but unless (like me) you live in Preston then the postage is likely to screw(!) you on such a small order.

The thread for a HD screw is #6-32 coarse thread (which, apparently, during a quick google on this) is an american thread, without a metric equivalent. Then, to contradict, someone suggests an M3.5 x 0.6mm is equivalent - if you need to source individual screws. The thread(!)

is slightly interesting.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

In message , Dave writes

When I needed some to fix a drive, I asked in local computer shop and the chap gave me a few.

Reply to
chris French

Don't agree. The recommendation used to be to use only two diagonal screws out of the four, otherwise any distortion of the computer case, due to dropping it etc., could be transmitted to the HD case too.

john2

Reply to
john2

Some drives are M3, and some are 6-32 UNC. CPC very frequently have packs of 50 of either for 99p in their offer leaflets for PCs.

If buying generic ones (not specifically for PC's), finding ones short enough not to penetrate into the drives further than manufacturers allow can be a challenge.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Mike Dodd writes

They aren't all the same, I have some screws here that fit some drives, but are too small in diameter for others.

Reply to
chris French

Indeed it can. Also I've just had one pull out as it was too short! Well, it kept goin round and round on 1 thread turn! Is there an easy way to tell M3 from 6-32 UNC? (apart from buying a pack with a label on) :) Plenty of scope for nuts jokes there I think!

Reply to
Dave

Ask on uk.adverts.computer - someone will send you some for beer moey. Paul

Reply to
me

I have a bucket of 'PC screws' and ignoring the heads and lengths, seem to generaly come it two formats, 'fine and coarse'.

'Fine' seem to be used on floppy and optical drives as well as some system board mounts (brass pillars).

'Course' seem to be used on hard drives, chassis fixings and other system board mounts (pressed steel).

Many hdd's seem to allow for a longer screw these days (to some degree) but I know this wasn't always the case.

If the OP wants a small selection of each my emall addy works and I'll stick some in the post. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. A Halfords 'very long' Pozi No2 is my main PC tool. Nice and long so you can see what you are doing and don't rip yer nuckles on the sharp pressed steel edges or have to move cables out of the way (that eventually come unplugged just as you put the lid back on). The magnetic tip is also perfect for 'single handed remote screw insersion' or 'dropped screw recovery' ;-) (oh, and if you are woried about magnets and computers take the lid off a (dead ) hard disk drive and check the magnet that's *inside* the enclosure! ;-)

Reply to
T i m

have you tried pushing matchsticks in the holes.

john2

Reply to
john2

The screws that hold the removable case to the tower/desk top body are the same size, so you can always use two of those.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Sometimes they are, sometimes they're not. If they're 6-32 UNC, as IBM/Hitachi are fond of using, they're not.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The message from Dave contains these words:

No they're not. HD mouting screws are much smaller.

Reply to
Guy King

I have just checked and the screws that hold the sides/covers of a computer case are the same as the ones that hold the hard drives in.

I have worked with computers for over 15 years and the industry has now got down to using two sizes of screws.

UNC for the hard drive/case screws and (I think the size is) 3mm for floppy/CD/DVD drives.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Don't forget to use rubber washers for noise reduction.

Chips.

Reply to
Chips