Hanging new panelled doors into alcoves

Hi
Any advice for fitting 2 panelled doors into both sides of the fireplace alcovesin our Victorian house?
We are putting shelves up into the alcoves and wondered if we need to put battens up the side of the fireplace and hang the doors from them?
Would that be ok as we would be drilling into the side of the fireplace bricks?
Many thanks for any help
Rebecca

I guess this is little different from fixing a door into a brick opening. You would normally fix a wooden door frame to the brick, making sure that it is square (which the brick may not be) then hang the doors on the door frame. The size of wood frame (batten or larger) depends on the size and weight of the door. This also gives you a top and bottom rail for a catch (magnetic, ball bearing etc) to hold the doors closed, just like a cupboard.
HTH Dave R
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:08:14 -0000, "David W.E. Roberts"

The problem I'm having ('cos its me that's doing it :) is getting the frame structurally sound enough to hold the weight of 2 proper full size doors, considering the cupboards will only be picture rail height and not full ceiling height.
I'll probably end up screwing the frame to the shelves themselves, which seems a better idea than trying to get rawlplugs into the chimney breast...... -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs

Why not construct a built-in cupboard (without a back)? Make the sides out of 9 x 1 planed timber (or however deep the alcove is) and screw these to the side walls - using packing, as necessary, to get them square and upright. Make a top in the same material, if the whole thing's not going to the ceiling, and screw it to the top of the uprights. Fill any gaps between the uprights and the side walls.
You can then hang your doors *and* your shelves off these uprights - and should have a good solid job which - as SWMBO would say - "is built like a brick s**t-house"!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

That's sort of what I'm slowly ending up with, though I'm cursing the builders of this place (again) for a) not having any sort of geometric equipment and b) using engineering bricks. This afternoon I got 3 shelves up after drilling a total of *mumble* holes that the wall plugs just span in.....grrrrr......
Tomorrow I'm off to (hopefully) buy a 7 and 8mm SDS drill for my brick punisher 'cos the cordless just can't hack it :-/ Back to the discussion here about different types of hammer drills!
Bah.
-- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs

I assume you're not intending to use an SDS bit in an ordinary hammer drill - 'cos that won't work?!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

hehe, no :) They go nicely with my cheap-ass SDS drill though, and the only thing that's stopped me in me tracks was the local shed shutting at 4 when I needed 4 inch wood for the chimney breast at 6! Just given up for the day with the hope of finishing tomorrow......meh..... -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs

18 mm plywood might well be cheaper...
On 22 Dec 2003 23:05:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (OldScrawn) wrote:

frame-wise all was well in the end, but see rant entitled 'margh' for further info :-/ -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs