Hanging floor joists

My brickie says that BCO's prefer joists to be hung of joist hangers these days rather than having them mortared into the walls. why would this be?

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Latest building regulations require it. I can think of several good reasons, Rot, Insulation, integrity of walls etc.

Reply to
<me9

Less chance of moisture penetration?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Because he's trying to make life easier for himself?

Reply to
Rob Morley

That was my first thought faced with this myself - saves making holes in the walls to get the new joists in ...

Reminds me I really need to involve the BCO at an early stage for my project ...

Reply to
brugnospamsia

and less chance of penetrating a fire break, or allowing drafts through.

Reply to
John Rumm

It's mainly to do with the new (Part L?) regs for insulation. Joist hangers stop thermal bridging. The down side is that the floor will be more susceptible for squeaking. You can set the joists into the walls and use plastic "boots" on the end - this meets the new regs (see Screfix 31310).

Reply to
nafuk

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:49:53 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named "r.p.mcmurphy" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Couple of reasons:

  1. If the wall is a party wall, the joists MUST be on hangers to prevent flanking sound transmission from the floor to the wall. Joists built into a masonry wall can also shrink and allow air (and sound) to travel through the wall.
  2. It is recommended that all joists are on hangers to external walls to maintain the air-tightness of the building (warm air uses energy to heat, so you don't want it escaping through the walls). I think most BCOs would allow the joists to be built in, provided that they are sealed with mastic to seal any gaps.
Reply to
Hugo Nebula

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:09:27 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named Rob Morley randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

So why do 90% of brickies & joiners still cut pockets in the blocks, and look aghast when you tell them they should have used hangers.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

oops ! - missed that it was _new_build_ ....

I guess most tradesmen are fairly "conservative" ... and it has to be said there are probably millions of houses where it proved to be a perfectly reasonable way to do things ...though I have to say that as I virtually rebuild my Victorian hovel I have good evidence for wishing to avoid having any timber directly in contact with the solid outside walls - it's amazing my house is still standing !

Reply to
brugnospamsia