halving joint chisel:which way up?

Hi, I teach in a secondary school, when I was a pupil, and when I was at teacher training the waste wood from a cross-halving would be removed with a bevel edged chisel flat side up; making a small "hill", the chisel would only be turned flat side down for the final paring. A new guy fresh from collage has arrived this week and upset the cart. His college said flat side down, all the time. The reason I was given was to stop the chisel digging in beyond the line, which has happened when students put the flat side down. Whats your thoughts? An up or down answer is enough.

ta Roy

Reply to
misterroy

FWIW I gently deepen the scribed marking lines first, with the bevel towards the waste, then complete the job with your method.

I was taught woodwork in the sixties if that helps.

regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Flat side down, and the final phase chiseled level with bevel facing down.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I would imagine that whatever works for you is good. However, I was taught

50 years ago to keep the bevel edge upwards and this works for me after many thousands of joints. I refer to the bevel edge of the chisel and not a bevel edge, as opposed to firmer, chisel. In not so very short, mark the joint, cut the shoulders with tenon and remove waste with sharp chisel FLAT side down. hth
Reply to
Nick

But the scribed lines where only a guide as to where to cut with a tenon saw on both sides of the joint and then the excess chisled out.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

.....guy fresh from collage has a....

CollEge dear boy, C..O..L..L..E..G..E! OBVIOUSLY NOT AN ENGLISH TEACHER.

Reply to
Grumpy owd man

Dear boy,

wtf do you refer to? Certainly not me. I am well aware of the Queens English; also the correct spelling and enunciation of college, collage and university. Now, please be a good chap and piss off.

Reply to
Nick

The message from "misterroy" contains these words:

Whatever works, according to taste, which in my case is flat against the wood.

Reply to
Guy King

And its *Cannibalise* not Canibalise.

Practice what you preach Grumps, I'm allowed to mispell as I'm partially illiterate,however there are some instances where I know a word looks wrong when its mispelt.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Not in this case...

Reply to