hairdryer smells of garlic

We have a hairdryer that after a certain period of operating, particularly = if turned on and off a few times, releases air that smells vary strongly ga= rlic. This seems to pass and then the smell does not reappear until next ti= me the device is used, having cooled down again. Any idea what type of substance in the device would create this smell ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

It's probably a Moulinex or Tefal product.

Reply to
Steve Firth

turned on and off a few times, releases air that smells vary strongly garlic.

I lurve garlic.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

No idea, but it sounds perfect for preparation for a meal at a French restaurant.

Reply to
Davey

turned on and off a few times, releases air that smells vary strongly garlic.

So do I but not for breakfast ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

turned on and off a few times, releases air that smells vary strongly garlic. This seems to pass and then the smell does not reappear until next time the device is used, having cooled down again.

Phenolic resins, once common in electrical kit, have a somewhat garlicky smell when overheated.

Assuming it's a reasonably modern machine, and double insulated, and given that you wouldn't normally run it unattended, I wouldn't worry too much but it could be dying (probably the switch). OTOH you don't want to inhale the fumes from cooking PVC or (especially) PTFE.

Reply to
newshound

newshound wrote in news:4fcf5504$0$7578$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Try turning the heat off before stopping the fan. I guess some residual heat from the element is burning the plastic. My daughter had a drier wich used to get stupidly hot if it was merely turned off. She now gives if a couple of seconds of cold before turning off the fan.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

turned on and off a few times, releases air that smells vary strongly garlic. This seems to pass and then the smell does not reappear until next time the device is used, having cooled down again.

A thermosetting plastic of some sort getting too hot would be a possibility - although they usually smell more a bit fishy or like urine than garlic.

Reply to
John Rumm

y if turned on and off a few times, releases air that smells vary strongly = garlic. This seems to pass and then the smell does not reappear until next = time the device is used, having cooled down again.

Overheating plastic. Maybe a partial airflow blockage, maybe excess bearing friction slowing the motor down, maybe oxidised switch overheating. Maybe a fire risk, maybe not. Maybe it'll worsen, maybe not. I'd take it out of service.

NT

Reply to
NT

Think car engine turbocharger!

Reply to
Davey

turned on and off a few times, releases air that smells vary strongly garlic. This seems to pass and then the smell does not reappear until next time the device is used, having cooled down again.

Is it made in France?

If you examine the corner where the handle joins the body is it hairy?

Reply to
The Other Mike

turned on and off a few times, releases air that smells vary strongly garlic. This seems to pass and then the smell does not reappear until next time the device is used, having cooled down again.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You obviously need someone who knows their onions for this one.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ok we have all had our smart arse comments, so down to business. What style of hair drying is it, ie, is it the posh kind that sits above your head, the gun shaped one that has nozzles or the bag on the head with a tube type popular in the 70s?

Firstly check that its not something in any attached bits, if not then if its coming out of the air hole so to speak, it could be that dust or something is inside the unit and getting cooked. As many do use centrifugal fans, these do get very dirty indeed and I suspect this could cause it. Of course taking these things apart is often not trivial if possible. they are made by the same mob who make toasters and seldom let you get in to do much. Mostly the heat is after the fan of course but if the motor is caked in muck then it probably gets quite warm and burns off at the start.

Some laquers used on motor windings can smell a bit of onions, so don't be surprised one day if it just dies due to the motor overheating. With muck in the little places its not supposed to be and rubbish bearings it will eventually succumb. I suspect a thermal cut out will stop it before it catches fire.. grin.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Wind up. As in my freezer is now computing. You may not be old enough to remember that one .....?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

That's shallot Brian....

Reply to