Gyproc Lite Coving - some praise

An observation...

I use to think polystyrene coving was the devil's threadbare underpants.

Then I needed 6 3m lengths and couldn't face dragging a box like that from B&Q down to the bungalow, let alone putting it up (it's heavy and my car only takes 3m on the roof, precariously balances over the rails!).

So I got the Gyproc Lite 100. Same price, same profile as Gyproc 100 but 1/4 of the weight.

Turns out the polystyrene is quite dense with reinforcing tape. Went up a treat and (yesterday) painted beautifully. No visual difference with the rest of the coving at all. I'm a convert.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

By 'reinforcing tape', I take it you mean it's paper covered? I've used a different make of paper-covered polystyrene, and am very pleased with it. Nice to see it available in different profiles.

Reply to
S Viemeister

in a few years you'll be told to take it down as a fire risk

NT

Reply to
NT

S Viemeister coughed up some electrons that declared:

No - it appears to be plastic faced[1]. The "tape" or layer is embedded in the back and cuts (or doesn't cut) like glass mesh - that's how I noticed it when the saw exposed some.

[1] It washes off very nicely after gluing too - as there's no paper to get soggy.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

NT coughed up some electrons that declared:

Oooh good point. Better buy a lifetime supply. To keep the bulbs company...

Reply to
Tim S

Pssst. I've got some fireproof asbestos panels here. Call me on 01sffgghh if you need some!

Reply to
Clot

Hmm. The only non-paper-covered stuff I've seen, _looked_ like polystyrene. If you say that this product, when painted, doesn't scream 'fake', I should take a look at it for the next batch of decorating.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I've even used some kind of polystyrene on my fence:

seems to be lasting better than the timber I first used. It looks like it has nylon or glass mesh on it, and cuts easily. I got it out of the skip next door so I know nothing about it!

Reply to
Matty F

Clot coughed up some electrons that declared:

That's Ok - I already have some flat asbestos sheet (bunsen burner like stuff).

Reply to
Tim S

S Viemeister coughed up some electrons that declared:

That was my thinking previously.

B&Q (well larger ones) have it and there's often single bits for sale - that's how I made the comparison. Have a look :)

Reply to
Tim S

I'm due for a trip to the one in Inverness in a few weeks - I'll have a look then.

Reply to
S Viemeister