Gutter problem:

I live in Dublin in a section of an old orphanage ("The Birds Nest"), which is quite a large building but surprisingly has no downpipes at all in the front of the building, which I'm guessing is about 50 metres long. The water all goes over a valley which unfortunately is in our part of the building. When there is heavy rain it sounds on the top floor as though a large river is running overhead.

I asked a roof expert some time ago if it would be possible to insert a downpipe in the front of our part of the building, but he thought this was impossible because the guttering is cast-iron.

I'm wondering if this opinion is the last word on the subject?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Take a section of the guttering out, get 2 plastic to cast iron fittings (depends if half round og etc) fit these to the cast iron, then put the plastic guttering with running outlet in, allowing for expansion and contraction of the plastic. the lines in the connector tells you where the gutter ends. then fit the downpipe, Simples

Reply to
polly filler

or do it in iron

Reply to
NT

Or do it in cast iron 'effect' plastic (Floplast). Does the building have any preservation orders on it? Planning might make it necessary to use iron.

Reply to
Dean Heighington

Yes, the building is listed, and they seem quite strict, eg they would not allow us to install double glazing.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Then they will have to be consulted before any change is made to the facade of the building. But if in keeping and to solve a nuiscance then they should be somewhat amenable.

D.

Reply to
Dean Heighington