Garage door adjustment

Our 'up and over' garage door has got heavy to raise, it is the sort with the big coil spring across the top. Am I right in thinking it is just a matter of inserting a small bar (Allen key?) and tightening the large nut at the end of the spring?

TIA

Neil

Reply to
Neil Bush

These can be very dangerous if you undo the wrong part. It could even kill you. There's a lot of energy stored in that spring. I would wonder why the door has become heavy to raise. Perhaps it's friction, which should be simple to fix with the correct lubricant, whatever that is. Some experts say not to use a lubricant, and certainly not CRC or WD40. Maybe graphite. Experts will be along shortly!

The door is unlikely to have got heavier. If the spring has got weaker then it might be on the point of breaking and flailing around when you are adjusting it.

Or the tightening device may have slipped.

Reply to
Matty F

Is the spring slack when the door is open? If so tightening it when in that state will make it start restraining the door sooner in its movement. If its already tight at that point then I would check the lubrication and anything else that may be restricting the free movement of the door before playing with the spring.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for the reply, I'll check for slackness tomorrow (it is certainly well lubricated).

Reply to
Neil Bush