Grass Carpet?

All this sea-grass, coir and other vegetable fibre type carpeting looks great, but clearly neither of two independent carpet shops like the stuff. They have said it is a total bugger to lay, frays at the edges, and either keeps on moving or needs to be rubber backed and glued to a heavy rubber-crumb underlay.

Comments? Advice? Durability? Stains? Feel, even?

Reply to
Charles Lamont

I'm with the shops on this. Hate the stuff. One rug, with tucked edges, and although very durable, it walk around the floor more than we did.

Reply to
BigWallop

In article , Charles Lamont writes

I agree with the shops. Mine has got snags, (like a wooly jumper), it has worn through by my desk, and creates masses of bits and dust. I will never use it again!

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Some of them are very rough. If you like the look, there are plenty of textured wool carpets in natural colours that would do the trick. Softer, more durable, and of course more expensive.

Suzanne.

Reply to
Suz

We lived in a flat with underfloor heating in the 60s. I used jute carpet for the open weave to let the heat through. Never frayed and didn't slip. Stained easily though as we found out with children. Probably with modern cleaning agents that wouldn't be a problem. Felt a bit rough compared to the cord and wool/nylon stuff we used later.

I'm dubious about coir and cocoafibre matting though.

-- Alan G "The corporate life [of society] must be subservient to the lives of the parts instead of the lives of the parts being subservient to the corporate life." (Herbert Spencer)

Reply to
AlanG