Grand Designs

Remember working on a series where the PM had booked the whole crew into some form of religious weekend retreat - midweek. Not only was it in the middle of nowhere - but no smoking or drinking anywhere on the premises. And no heating either on a cold night. Think two actually stayed there - the rest found the most expensive hotel they could close to the location and presented actuality bills afterwards.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can fill the bowls more than once :-)

I've actually come to quite like the Holiday Inn express - proper breakfasts are just too tempting and I pay for it later on. Need to adjust the toaster to get it done properly though - but better than having it predone and wrong.

Reply to
Clive George

Only 110%? When I was cutting 1/4" tape I could listen at double speed... My HDD video machine will only do 1.5 times before it mutes the sound. B-(

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's not difficult. Travel Lodge don't offer a real breakfast, you can get a tray but thats about all. Pretty sure they all have an ajoining place that will do a cooked breakfast, though that won't generally won't be much more than normal the boring cerial/fry up offerings.

What I like, when away, is a selection of fresh fruits (no citrus) with plain yogurt, fresh toast, butter, jam, maybe some form of "pastry" and fresh good quality coffee. The sort of stuff that Hilton and the like do... You're now going to tell me now the Premier Inn have that kind of breakfast available. B-)

That's worth bearing in mind.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I was talking about Holiday Inn Express, and I've never [aid that much. It's on a par with TraveLodge etc.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I keep running into film crews around the UK, usually the same ones filming house programs. At one point I felt haunted by Dominic Littlewood since he + crew turned up in the same hotels as me from spring to autumn. Still, better than the other frequent encounter in hotels, McGuinness and Adams. They seem to haunt Jury's Hotels and they're popular with my clients as places to book consultants into.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No, work related. The main centre for work at the time was at Rungis (another hole like Slough but down by Orly airport).

I wonder if Alcatel have a base at Aulnay-sous-Bois? Whatever, it's not really important other than as evidence that the French can build slums to equal those in the UK.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Same here - I still eat too much though. Found the Edinburgh one particularly good last summer. On the subject of toasters, one of them (Exeter?) had a row of 4 slot proper Dualits...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Holiday Inn Express, in my experience...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Often apples and bananas - nowt more exotic than that though.

Sometimes...

Yep - do it youself with a dualitt conveyor toaster normmaly

Essential with the toast :)

dissapointing small tubs :-(

sometimes a selection (custard ones are lovely :)). Normally only muffins though :-(

Fresh Costa coffee - does that count?

They do us some sort of slightly odd sausage with nutmeg - not convinced on them (although more experimentation is obviously required)

Darren

Reply to
dmc

I may have to look at them again. Though I normally get put off by the =A3=

60 price tag on the room or the fact that breaky doesn't start until the ti= me I have to be out the door or that I'll get fed if I arrive 1/2 an hour early.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not exactly inspiring, banana is OK but some fresh (not tinned) pineapple to go with it and fresh figs is much more acceptable.

Oh dear, essential to go with the fruit.

So they have the toast sorted, I don't object to the tubs of preserves, privide it's a self service so you can have more then one per two slices of toast. Tubs are better than a manky pot refilled over and over and with everyone elses breakfast knife diving in.

Not so good.

It'll do. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice