Glass milk bottles

Hi, i bought a glass bottle containing milk from Asda - the brand is Dairy crest- and for the life of me I can't figure out how to open the bottle to extract the milk. Any help and ideas appreciated! Apologies for the idiotic question.

(neither end of the bottle says, 'open other end' so that's me stuffed)

Reply to
Phil L

Place bottle in deep freeze overnight next morning place bottle in bucket

Once thawed pass contents through a fine sieve

Using this method you can buy in bulk to save repeated trips to Asda

Reply to
TMC

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 20:07:46 -0000, "TMC" mused:

Reply to
Lurch

Worth it I'd say, especially between 15-15 pm and 17-30, weekdays when it's "Chavse Centraal"

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Its funny you should mention that. I saw some of these in a shop in the north-east last week. It's been so long since I have seen this stuff I took a picture.

Graham

There's probably an NVQ available if you can sign up as a 'modern apprentice'.

In reality you can probably just break the neck of the bottle on the edge of the bar/kitchen worktop and glug the milk. Don't forget to wear the appropriate PPE, such as Totectors, chain-mail gloves, eyeshields (and of course a hard hat).

More seriously I'm trying to source a couple of 1 pint milk bottles of the shape used in the 1950s/60s, with a much shallower tapered neck than the current breed¹, to use as theatre props. I've even asked my milkman to look around in his travels, still without any joy.

Does anybody remember the ½ pint bottles? 'School milk' was in 1/3 pint ones, but ½ pints were quite scarce.

¹Yes, I know the 'current breed' seems to be either waxed cardboard or yucky grey translucent plastic, which I eschew, but I do mean the glass ones :-)
Reply to
Frank Erskine

judging by the picture somebody posted, if that's what you have, they have a lid like on a beer bottle. So try a beer opener type thing

some people with lots of practice behind a bar, can bang the bottle down using the edge of the table to knock the lid off the bottle. It takes skill to make sure the base of the bottle or any part of the bottle doesn't smash against the table.

Maybe searching for open beer bottle in google video /youtube, will find some ways

Reply to
jameshanley39

eBay

There are Collectors 8-(

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Ebay has quite a few from that era. or write to your local rag asking for help

Reply to
OG

Bro in law did that at a party with a beer bottle, and it shattered (no-one had the foresight to bring a bottle opener). Fortunately the party was at the A&E hospital, so repairs were at hand.

Reply to
<me9

milk'...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , Frank Erskine writes

Try your local Freecycle group?

Reply to
Graeme

The message from " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk" contains these words:

recently. That at least was a screw cap in disguise.

Reply to
Roger

bugger. I put a load in the recycling bin the other week after digging them up/removing them from the bushes in the garden! i didnt know there were collectors!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tap the top gently with a hammer to break the glass, and then drink directly from the bottle. If you swallow any little bits of galss - don't worry - they will pass through you safely.

Reply to
mike

I've seen them at biodynamic dairies. There's one near Forest Row (E Grinstead/Turners Hill area)

Reply to
John Stumbles

be sterilised milk (foul stuff). From that ancient memory the bottles stood a good 15" high with a top the same size as beer bottle crown cork and the bottle itself gently tapered to full diameter of 2 to 3" over almost half its height.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Jeez don't be a wimp! Use your teeth.

Reply to
AnthonyL

I'm glad you said that, I didn't want to come across as un-PC ;) I was out and about so much last week I can't remember where I took the picture, possibly Newcastle or Grimsby. Places perhaps where domestic refrigeration has yet to reach

100 percent penetration. Or perhaps the inhabitants prefer the taste.
Reply to
Graham

Obviously not one of Paddy's then cos his does say open other end

Reply to
the_constructor