Getting rid of white spirit?

..

Far worse of course than into the sewage system, where it will get treated and filtered and allowed to evaporate: straight into the ground water..heck why not?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Isn't a sewer simply a major drain - ie several drains flow into a sewer? If I remember correctly, for domestic systems at least, a drain is defined as serving only one property.

Dave

Reply to
Dave A

I think he means drain as in road drain, not sure were this water goes but its marked as SW (storm water) on the main holes rather than FW (foul water)

Reply to
Kevin

Foul water drainage goes to the treatment works. Storm wter drainage normally feeds into local watercourses that feed into rivers. We had someone locally connect a WC to the storm water drain. Polluted the local beck and had the park closed off for a few months until it cleared.

Reply to
Alang

This too is not a good idea. Evaporated hydrocarbons are a major cause of photochemical smog... which is why paints these days are marked "low VOC".

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Which as we all know would have ben a big issue this year (not really) had the sun been able to get through the clouds and the rain.

And you have to repaint 3 times as often.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

- you can wash your brushes in it and then it recycles the white spirit so you can use it again!

url:

Buddy

we really are that stupid

NT

Reply to
NT

Quite!

I find two old jam jars work fine. By the time I'm on my next painting job, all the grot in jar 1 has settled, and I can decant clean fluid into jar 2. By the subsequent job, the sediment has dried enough to be scraped out of jar 1, and it is then ready for clean fluid again.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

This is the heap of crap that the Dragons laughed out of the den.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

never works like that for me, by the time i need to use a paint brush again, it's stuck solid to the bottom of the gunk in the jar, the liquid has all evaporated off, and i end up buying a new brush... and doing just the same thing when i'm finished painting.

Reply to
gazz

You only need to rinse the brush in the white spirit, then work some washing up liquid into the bristles and rinse under hot tap.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

And if it hasn't settled out you are working too fast ;-)

Reply to
Mark

... and put a lid on the jar to prevent evaporation.

Reply to
Mark