Getting rid of lino bonded to concrete

Hi, I've got some old lino that was bonded to a concrete that I need to remove. Trouble is it's realy stuck. I've tried hot air guns, even hammer and chisel and they hardly make a mark.

Has any one got some practicle suggestions for getting the stuff up?

H.

Reply to
oldnews

You're looking for a "power scraper" - they look like an electric jackhammer with a large flat flexible plate on the end of it. If you think of SDS + tile removal chisel but on something that stands about 3 or 4 feet tall.

Hired one for a day from our local place - not expensive and made short work of lifting a very well stuck vinyl floor without damaging the subfloor.

Reply to
shaun

shaun wrote: ...snip...

Thanks for the advise.I'd been thinking of using something like hilti rotary/hammer drill with a wide floor lifter type chisel. I'll check with our hire shop.

H.

Reply to
oldnews

Aldi had something similar for a tenner. If they still have them, if it survives the job it would be worth it.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Power planar properly adjusted might just about work.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

No problem. We did try with a flat wall tile removal type of chisel + SDS but it didn't even touch it. The trick is in the tool end - if you think of a very strong but thin and flexible piece of sheet metal you're on the right track

Reply to
shaun

I checked with our local hire shop - they have a large Bosch hammer drill with an almighty big 6" wide 'board-lifter' type of attachment bolted to the drill shaft. It's not a 'board-lifter' though as it's fairly flexible. They said that because of the width and the flexibility it's not likely to break into the concrete.

I'll try it out on Monday and let ya'll know how it went.

Cheers,

H.

Reply to
oldnews

had a problem with lino bonded to wooden floorboards, managed to get them off by using a wallpaper steamer to heat the tiles and glue then used a heavy wallpaper striper to lift them and the glue, if its a amall area it may work on concrete too

Reply to
SiGreen10

Now I think of it, I saw some people replacing floor tiles in a B&Q once. They used a flame gun, like you use on weeds and a long handled scraper - two blokes, one flamed, one scraped - they got them off at a great rate of knots.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

I'd use a soldering torch, and burn it off - but only if I had enough venterlation.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Check and see if there is a branch of National Floor Preparation Centres near you and if so hire a Turbo-Stripper machine.

- Steve Lowe

- E-Mail : snipped-for-privacy@usa.net

- Before Replying Remove .NO.SPAM

- UK Resident although my e-mail address is usa.net

Reply to
Steve Lowe