General quality of new houses?

One word: Persimmon.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

There's a 1930's house on my old stamping ground which is - according a letter in the files - built entirely of half bricks, hidden under the pebbledash of course. The reply from the builder said that it was his standard practice to use up all the broken bricks on the last house of an estate!

Reply to
Tony Bryer

There's not much behind them though - or wasn't when I spent a day with a suburban Melbourne Building Inspector in 1989. But if you're building a detached house you may take the view that in 30 years time you (or the then owner) will just pull it down and start again

Friends of mine emigrated to NZ and bought a beautiful big new bungalow for the equivalent of £90K. All timber frame, no insulation or heating (not a problem for most of the year, but they do have cold nights) and you could hear conversations from one bedroom to the next.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Having owned a brand new house built in the mid 90s, a house built in the early 70s and one built late 30s I'd say the 90s house was the worst by a *huge* margin.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

We went round a series of showhomeson a new build 'executive' estate a few years ago just for a laugh..

Rather cunningly all internal doors had been omitted to make the placeslook bigger. I tried lying on one of the beds and it was about

6" shorter than the norm...my feet dangled over the end.

Worse than that there was no drivewaysfrom the garagesto the road, merely grass and flowerbeds. Presumably in an attempt to make the front gardenslook bigger.

None of the houses had televisions...etc..etc.

Go round a showhome and try and spot all the 'cheats' they have done in order to make the houses seem bigger!

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

that bit is inevitable. New plaster should be painted with trade paint, not emulsion. Its crap. If it lasted 2 years it did unusually well.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Finding a new house with any plaster in it is an interesting challenge in itself...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

construction

Planning and how the houses are built are two entirely separate issues.

Reply to
IMM

I disagree.

More than adequate as most homes leak too air from the fabric.

The house and its location are separate issues.

Reply to
IMM

That is because of the land problem. Only just over 7% of the land is built on. They will not allow us to build on subsidised fields. This creates an artificial shortage ramping up land values. that is why houses are so expensive.

Reply to
IMM

Its natural resonance seems to be about 6 Hz.

Its probably better able to withstand wind, actually. It flexes rather than breaks.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"How can you tell you are in Germany" "The net curtains are made of concrete"

Its different in Bavaria though, There the curtains are made of matchwood.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

For one simple reason. People do not build their own houses: They buy them ready built from a developer.

Only developers have the ability to bribe enough of the local council to get planning permission to turn green belt land into nasty executive rabbit hutches.

Its ot that shoddy: Just built to certain constraints which are:

Low cost Building regulations Good enough to sell, but not to live in yourself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

construction

They shouldn't have to bribe them as the land should be available anyhow.

Reply to
IMM

Thanks Martin, I have been looking at self-build but am waiting for the incredible inflated Swansea prices to go South - a house that was worth 40 -

45K 2 years ago can surely not be worth 185K today. The place doesn't have any jobs anyhow! :-)
Reply to
John Smith

Well the original owner was a painter and decorator. He made them come back and re-do the whole place again because it was so poor. Unfortunately, that was about the only problem he took up with them.

We bought our paint from a local trade centre (apparently Crown freely admit the quality of stuff they sell out of B&Q etc is considerably lower than their trade paint). You could just about rest the brush against the wall and watch the paint getting sucked up.

I should probably have thinned it for the first coat, but decided just keep putting in on by the bucket load. After three coats I think we've just about doubled the soundproofing!

Reply to
Simon Pleasants

In my (admittedly limited) experience, the house builder is largely irrelevent. The quality of the finished product seems to have depended mostly on the site foreman and most of the housing companies have employed all the same tradesmen.

By and large Persimmon have responded fairly promptly to anything we have reported to them.

Reply to
Simon Pleasants

Oh yes, and I forgot to mention the black dust. Mortar made with coaldust and "plaster" made of coaldust with a (very) thin skim of cement over the top. Foul stuff; creates a thin layer of black dust over

*everything* as soon as you load up a masonry bit in the drill.

Ugh.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Oh yes they will. You just have to bribe the local Laber Councillahs.

This creates an

That's right. That way the Laber councillahs get to live in the best houses.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Possibly, but you can't see the councillors voting to lose their bribes can you?

Some of the grossest corruptions in my lifetime have been on Laber Run councils...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher