Gas turned off - now boiler pilot won't relight

Just turned the gas off at the meter while changing the hob and now can't relight the boiler. It's a very old floor standing Ideal E- type. Held the gas control knob in for ages but each time it's released the pilot goes out again.

Photo here (Sorry about the quality but it's in the outside understairs cupboard and it's =A3^&%ing freezing and getting dark):

it most likely the thermocouple has come to the end of its life? If so, is this replacement from Screwfix easily installed?

"gotchas" to be aware of?

The last time the gas was turned off (and once when it went out of its own accord) it took ages to relight, and a couple of years ago when the meter was changed, I think the the guy from the gas board said something about the gas control knob being a bit sticky and taking a while to pop up, but it seemed to be moving OK to me.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
mike

The last time that happened I made sure the thermocuple was in the fflame, used a propane torch to light and keep lit the pilot and tapped the gas valve with a piece of wood, the gas valve was sticking and hitting it loosened it and my thermocuple was going bad.

Reply to
ransley

on 22/02/2010, mike supposed :

Thermocouple not properly in the pilot flame Faulty thermocouple Faulty solenoid S/C or O/C (the one operated by the thermocouple) Faulty (stuck) pilot valve operated by the above solenoid.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield