Gas smells of parffin

Our mains gas, when burning, has started to smell distictly of paraffin in the last few days. This happens on both gas appliances that we have, a cooker and a living room gas fire. Anyone experienced this?

- Mike

Reply to
Mike Murphy

Sometimes.

My concern is that you expect to smell the products of combustion of a cooker since it doesn't have a flue. If you're smelling POCs of your gas fire they're not going up the flue which is seriously bad. I'd get it checked out ASAP.

Reply to
YAPH

Yes, occasionally and very strongly and I never found the cause. I could only assume there was a difference in the gas and ignored it in the end. Mine was just the gas oven though (or tended to be). As another poster has said, if the living room fire is smelling, it should be checked out as a matter of course.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Recently when some gas main work was being done near us I spotted a small plastic tube connected to the iron gas main. I asked what it was for and was told it was the oil injector (to prevent internal corrosion).

Could it be a fault with the local oil injector over-oiling or some other gas main work that might have disturbed a puddle of oil in the main?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Have you been doing any painting in the house? I've noticed, when decorating using solvent based paint, that any naked flame exaggerates the smell. I have no explanation for this. Nick.

Reply to
Nick L

Hi all, OP here. Thanks for all your responses. The smell has gone now, very strange. I haven't been painting anything, so it wasn't that.

- Mike

Reply to
Mike Murphy

The best explanation I have heard was the one about oil being injected - it's the only one that fitted the "there for a couple of days" scenario I had and I never thought about it at the time.

Reply to
Bob Mannix