Gas ring for glue boiler

Hi, I did a Google and eBay search for a gas ring to run off domestic natural gas. It's required to heat a glue boiler in my workshop. There were none on eBay and very few to be found in UK via Google. These few were quite flimsy looking burners held in a pressed steel frame.

There is a picture of one in NZ which is really impressive. It's mainly cast iron and had 3 graduated concentric burner rings with pot stands cast in as part of the monolithic body. There are substantial feed pipes, at the end of which are 3 separate taps to operate each ring independently. This seemed to be set up for bottled gas but it may be convertible, or have a natural gas option. Here's a picture of it.

anyone tell me if there's anything similar to the item described above available anywhere in the UK?

Reply to
Geoff Mills

About all you will get now is this type of thing.

remember every woodworkshop you went in would have one in a corner.

Reply to
EricP

bes.ltd.uk?

Reply to
John Stumbles

probably designed for LPG use.

Yes, I'll bet there's thousands of them buried in the dust. They're just not showing up on eBay at present.

Reply to
Geoff Mills

Thanks yes, good site. There are some relatively fancy looking items under the "Natural gas" heading. I don't yet know if these will do the trick but I'll enquire. The more familiar and traditional looking units are all under the LPG heading. Are these things convertible?

Reply to
Geoff Mills

Gas boiling ring (Scroll down page)

"Propane Burner 8.5kW, Heavy duty burner ideal for 50 -100 litre batches [of beer]. No flame protection so not suitable for use in the house. Requires propane regulator"

Cast iron single, double and triple boiling rings

at
a Bullfinch furnace.

Also at

mostly for LPG, may not be suitable for NG. Are 'gas rings' still permitted?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Try looking for an industrial gas burner ring

Alang

options yet but there are some there.

Reply to
Geoff Mills

Good question. It would be reassuring to know the answer. The options are predominantly LPG for sure.

Reply to
Geoff Mills

It's possible there aren't any portable N gas burners now. I suspect H&S will come down on them pretty hard. The days when we could shove one ned of a rubber tube onto a gas ring , the other end onto a gas tap, turn on and light up are long gone.

Reply to
Alang

Not in the lab at my wife's school. Nor on the BES website showing single and multiple outlet tapped gas points for use with the likes of bunsens and gas pokers.

Reply to
Geoff Mills

That surprises me. Given the health and safety paranoia it is amazing school pupils are let anywhere near dangerous things like bunsen burners.

Reply to
Alang

And what do meedja studies pupils need bunsen burners for anyway?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I'd guess not: it tends to be the other way round, appliances supplied for NG with conversion nozzles for LPG. Could phone BES and ask though - they're not just box-shifters.

Reply to
John Stumbles

The message from Owain contains these words:

Have a look at

be powerful enough for your needs :-)

Reply to
Appin

Animal-based glue? (pearl / scotch)

Get an electrically-heated, thermostatically-controlled waterbath. Don't faff about continually wasting time watching a gluepot burning on a gas-ring - it's a damn nuisance to all concerned.

Yes, I know they're =A380 or so for a new one, and nearly the same on eBay. Mine's chem-lab surplus and cost far, far less.

Reply to
Andy Dingley