Gas Flue Question

Hi All,

I've come across a bit of a problem with the flue on my gas fire and just wanted to pick a few brains as to what to do.

I live in a modern house, built around 2000, it has an open gas fire i.e. one that has fake coals in the base, the flame come through them and up the flue above. The flue then goes up the wall into the loft and out the roof. It finishes in a chrome chimney pipe, for want of a better expression :-)

I just happened to be sitting in front of a few days ago while it was cold a windy and realised that I'm getting a draft come down the flue and into the lounge. Although it isn't something I would DIY, gas is the only thing I don't touch, it is going to be as simple getting somebody to install some form of anti-downdraught device? Or does it get very complicated when messing around with flues?

Many thanks for any advice & tips. Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

Have any changes been made to the building, maybe a kitchen extractor fitted? There sounds to be something very wrong if combustion fumes could fill the room.

The Buildings Regs Part J has a lot to say about the design of flues and chimneys, particularly that the design is adequate to avoid downdraughts.

You can go and read the approved docs yourself here:

get a gas installer to compare your installation with that required by the building regs.

But I would be suspicious that if a modern chimney has a downdraught, that it's not compliant with the regs (or some other change has been made that upsets the deisgned airflows).

And if the original build isn't compliant, I would expect a FOC fix from the building company (then shop them to the HSE).

Reply to
dom

With the fire ON or OFF?

Its perfectly normal to have a downdraught into an unlit hearth..

Although it isn't something I would DIY, gas is the

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would block the flu and buy a fake electric fire, it will be cheaper to run.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if a 32" LCD TV playing a fireplace DVD wasn't cheaper and you can have that in the summer without having to put the AC on.

Reply to
dennis

Sorry I always miss something important in my posts :-( It was with the fire off. When I had the cavity walls filled a while ago the flue test which was performed afterwards showed no problems.

Ah didn't know that. Only noticed it because I had paperwork spread over the floor and my back to the fire. Normally I'm sitting the opposite side of the room!!

Reply to
Ryan

I you are really worried, get a man with a CO detector and test while the fire is lit and the wind blowing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher