Garage / workshop inner walls

Any ideas to tart up the inner walls of a single concrete block workshop ? A coat of paint would be better than nothing but the blocks are very coarse. I was thinking of something thicker to skim or paint on, smoothing out the surface. BTW I'm no good at plastering and a workshop doesn't justify a prof. job.

Chris

Reply to
Kris

You could try an artex like compound. Seal the wall first with dilute PVA and allow to dry first otherwise the artex will dry before you can smooth it out. If you are not confident about getting a smooth enough surface you could always get artistic with an artex comb?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I insulated mine.

First step was to fix 75 x 50mm studs, then Celotex between them (hint

- use 600mm centres or gaps so that one sheet can be ripped lengthwise for two spaces).

I then attached 18mm ply, primed and painted white. This makes a huge difference in that it can easily and economically be maintained at room temperature while working and is dry. Things can easily be fixed anywhere to the wall and it is a light place in which to work.

Well worth the investment.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Do you need to comply with building regs to do things like this?

Reply to
adder

If you mean is a building notice or application required, as I understand it not. It is not being used as a habitable space, purely as a workshop and for storage.

In my case it is also detached from the house, so there are no implications from it being integral.

I could find nothing in the Building Regulations Statutory Instruments that would suggest the need for an application or notice.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Would a garage converted to an office, or part office, be termed as habitable space. The office is a work room too.

Reply to
IMM

AIUI, you may have a Building Regulations issue, since I believe that an office is deemed to be habitable space. It may also represent a change of use. If the garage is integral or attached to the house then there may be implications related to fire or possibly structural aspects.