Front door and child saftey

I have a young child who is starting to reach for door handles, and I obviously don't want him to open the front door. There does not seem to be any UK products to stop this, only ones in dollars, Any ideas?? The one I thought of, is that from the outside simply pushing down on the handle will not open the door , you need the key, where is this configured and can i also make this behaviour work for the inside handle Thanks

Reply to
Fidel

If you need a key to open the door from inside you are IMO creating a fire risk. In a smoke filled hall finding the key could be fatal.

What kind of door? Timber? uPVC? Alluminum?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

for a rack bolt and don't leave the key in it

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Alluminum

Reply to
Fidel

Sorry forgot to mention its an Alluminum front door, so i can't fit these....

Reply to
Fidel

Put a little bolt higher up, like one on a bathroom door, which can be kicked out in an emergency?

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Just fit a bolt out of reach. Use self tapping screws.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Photo of the mother in law?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Reply to
Invisible Man

On the child or the door?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

When I was posting chain I did wonder whether I should put after it:

(on the door not the child)

You have confirmed my expectations of this ng.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Education of parents along with the required education of child.

I'd use a small bolt high up, a chain will let the door open a bit and thus "reward" the child. Said child is in the "imortal explorer" stage, being able to open the door a bit will just tickle the "explore" side even more.

Use sticky fixers if you don't want to use self tappers in the ali door. Degrease (lighter fluid is good) the area where the sticky fixers will go and they will be firm enough to stop a child opening the door.

Of course the best solution is education of the child not to play with "dangerous" things or venture to far away. Any devices, cupboard door catches, socket covers, exterior door locks etc are just

*secondary* protection. If you visit some one elses home they may well not be present, the child needs to know what is acceptable not just be prevented from doing things.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Can you fit a stairgate into the door recess?

Reply to
Mark

A smack on the hand works very well.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Not sure I agree with this, doesn't everybody's front door have a lock I appreciate a 'Yale' lock doesn't always need a key to open (unless deadlocked), but what about the thousands of doors that use a mortice or Euro lock? Just to put your mind at rest my front door has a mortice lock and the key is on a hook nearby but out of sight of any local scrotes on the prowl!

John

Reply to
John