FOAK: Power tools for beginners

I have a hankering to buy an electric drill. Being ignorant of such matters I'd appreciate recommendations.

It would be for putting up shelves and the like in the house - typical modern consturction with plasterboard and breize blocks, (or something like that); maybe in the garage, which is brick. Miscellaneous other minor things, perhaps.

This isn't something I'd expect to use very often, so I don't want to spend too much on it. On the other hand, I want something that'll be easy for a novice to use without too much risk of messing things up.

So: what's in the shops at the moment that's worth having?

Reply to
Verdigris

Personally. I haven't found much wrong with the PB550HB drill, that was IIRC

19.99 from Homebase.

And it's got a 3 year guarantee. It's been used to put in several thousand 30-70mm screws, without issue.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

It performed the snip as well?

Now *that* is a multi-tool.

Reply to
Pip

To clarify, the screws began as from 30-70mm long. Apart from one annoyingly soft batch of 70s that ended up as 50mm in the wood, with

20mm sheared.
Reply to
Ian Stirling