Floor boards

I am planning to replace a worm-eaten floor with new tongue and groove boards. In the past, these have shrunk after I have laid them. How long should I wait to dry them out properly?

Thanks

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Might be best to lay them but leave the fixing for a few weeks

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I acclimatised T&G softwood flooring destined for my bathroom for three months before fitting. Still shrunk over the hot pipe runs. I'd guess a decent hardwood would be better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

T&G - hot pipe runs on top of joists, the same problem.

Reply to
Clot

Dear Jonathon The answer depends on the ambient temperature and rh. The simplest way to find out is to measure them at weekly intervals and plot a graph of width v time supplemented by similar measurements of the moisture content - preferably using a capacitance, microwave or deep probe damp meter. If the room is at the temperature that it will eventually be at the likely answer is several weeks It also depends on the staring mc! Chris

Reply to
mail