Flooding in ground floor void

Following the recent heavy rains I have notice a build-up of water in the ground floor void.

The void is quite deep however much of the land around the house is sloping towards it.

I was wondering, as i am having quite a bit of work done to the house, if I could fill the void and finish with a concrete screed floor to the ground floor areas.

Any one got any comments.

Reply to
nigel lewis

It seems to be the wrong way round! The void (area under the floor-boards and joists?) should be dry. Air bricks should be permitting ventilation to evaporate any moisture. If water is collecting then there's something wrong. Has a non-permeable patio/parking area been implemented adjacent to the house? Has a large 'flower-bed' style of garden been constructed into which water is soaking -acting as sponge- and become the source of the water. It's drainage that you need (IMHO) rather than a lump of concrete that'll only move -not obviate- the water.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

mmm. Used to happen to me.

Try a french drain round the house.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

|>> The void is quite deep however much of the land around the house is |>> sloping |>> towards it. |>>

|>> I was wondering, as i am having quite a bit of work done to the house, if |>> I |>> could fill the void and finish with a concrete screed floor to the ground |>> floor areas. |>>

|>> Any one got any comments. |> |> It seems to be the wrong way round! |> The void (area under the floor-boards and joists?) should be dry. |> Air bricks should be permitting ventilation to evaporate any moisture. |> If water is collecting then there's something wrong. Has a non-permeable |> patio/parking area been implemented adjacent to the house? Has a large |> 'flower-bed' style of garden been constructed into which water is |> soaking -acting as sponge- and become the source of the water. It's drainage |> that you need (IMHO) rather than a lump of concrete that'll only move -not |> obviate- the water. |> |mmm. Used to happen to me. | |Try a french drain round the house.

This happened to a group of houses near to us who got flooded cellars. Someone ?The water company? put in a huge land drain from the field behind to the local stream.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Smelly and running down the middle of the road? (memories of Aigue Mort in the 60s)

Reply to
Guy King