Float on dishwasher

Where would I find the float on the dishwasher and what will it look like?

According to a how to manual on the internet this float controls the water and stops the machine over filling. ( if machine over fills the water comes out in a flood at the bottom apparently - like mine does).

It supposed to be easily found and can be cleaned or tapped with a screwdriver to free it. I have four things sat in the bottom of my dishwasher a pointed cone shape thing, the shower heard thing , the salt thing, and the drain thing

Also where would I find the intake valve? Apparently that can also fail to shut off and cause the dishwasher to overfill.

Given HE has stated he things the float is the most likely cause and because its s*ds law HE probably knows, how easy are they to repair if they dont work? ( what I want to know is am I likely to be waiting yet another week for a repair man to return with the right bit?)

Reply to
whiskeyomega

The water is still leaking out of the bottom despite him having taken the water out and drained most of it - and he has turned the valve off to stop water getting in to the machine in case it leaks again. Is this likely to be simply a hole in the base of the machine or could it still be the float thing?

Reply to
whiskeyomega

What make is the dishwasher? Bosch and related ones have nice exploded diagrams on the Internet...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I don't suppose it crossed your mind that there are many different makes of dishwasher?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not so lucky. Its a very old Ariston AS 100. Its 11 years old and it is one of the old mechanical types ( it has a clicky timer , not those electrical things that new ones have)

Reply to
whiskeyomega

Well , not really, given that the internet page suggested some generic concept to the way they are put together. Of course the big difference is mine if very old. Its an Ariston ( but not one of the indesit Ariston's or as they are now crappy Hotpoint!) . Its the old one - as the ad said - goes on and on and on , which is true , they do. I had an Ariston washer dryer for 20 years before it gave up the ghost and leaked on the bottom ( rusted out) , so I had to get a new machine.

The dishwasher is only about 11/ 12 years old I think. It might be a fraction older. I cant recall exactly when I got it.

Reply to
whiskeyomega

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "whiskeyomega" saying something like:

Depends on the make and model. As it's an old one, take the side casings off and see if there's a big plastic panel with lots of channels moulded into it. Down near the bottom third the float might be - it's a flattened type of float, sitting in a flattened float chamber. It's possible to clean the float and the inside of the chamber and make sure the microswitch arm isn't sticking or worn, but given the age it might be needing replaced. I've had 50/50 luck with them.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I have a similar (but not identical) problem too!

I *think* that you need to tip the machine on its back, onto blocks of wood to prevent damage to the pipes & mains lead. (drain it first by tipping it & mopping up round it). In theory you can then take the bottom drip tray off to reveal the gubbins. After that it's your own problem - I haven't got round to looking at ours yet!

Reply to
mick

"whiskeyomega" wibbled on Friday 01 January 2010 17:10

Could be a pipe or joint gone bad underneath, eg between the pump and various parts of the machine. Many machines use stainless steel for the base plate - if so, less likely that would have holed.

As the machine is not terribly heavy, take all the wobbly bits out like filter plates, shelves etc and try to lean it over at an angle against the worktop. If you can prop it or get you other half to hold it, have a look underneath. If it's an open construction you may be able to see the gubbings clearly.

Otherwise, you'll need to start taking panels off which isn't too hard, but can be a little fiddly at times.

Anyway, if you can peek inside the works, a leaking part will often be apparent by white "scale" around the leak. This isn't scale so much as dried detergent, but it looks similar.

Reply to
Tim W

In message , whiskeyomega

Reply to