Flies ... are others around the country suffering an excess of flies this year?

It depends on temperature, but from egg laying to flying away takes from a week to a fortnight, which is why weekly rubbish collectons were introduced in the first place.

Reply to
John Williamson

Best solution is electronic zapper but only work well on the dimmness. Other good solution is flypaper. I don't fancy nerve gases.

Reply to
harryagain

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim Streater saying something like:

Bill the Galactic Hero was much better.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Infintely better.

I love the sequel where he solves the Earth's waste problem by using the state subsidised government InterGalactic Postal Service to post all the scrap to developing planets.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think that was in BGH itself, in fact.

I thought the later sequels were much weaker, at least the two of them I've read. Relying too much on "and suddenly something unpredictable happened" - unless you happen to like trekkie crossovers and suchlike ;)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

I have one which was in the bedroom. Trouble is that I would get woken up with a bang-buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-fizzzzzzzz-pop-pop... and it didn't actually seem that good at attracting flies. I didn't use it for long.

I now have several carnivorous plants around the house, and I never see any flies. I did wonder if they get enough to eat, but inspection shows they are catching some flies. A few times, I have watched a fly get interested in the plants, only to be consumed - quite satisfying to watch.

I put them outside on the flying ant day for an extra boost.

I don't think any of mine are quite big enough yet to do this

they have grown much bigger pitchers this year than in the past.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel