Fixing running colours in clothes

Have some new blue jeans and a huge amount of blue dye runs out when washed. We were told it might be possible to fix the dye by using salt. How would we go about this please? Like how much salt to use and how long to boil etc? Or might there be a better way? Thanks for advice.

Reply to
john east

In article , john east writes

LMGTFY:

First hit searching for salt +dye +fixative :

fred

Always wash them inside out and only wash with other dark colours.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Partner, who knows about these things, suggests if you want to get rid of the excess dye, you could swim in them in the sea. But salt won't fix the dye.

Has Snopes covered this yet?

Reply to
polygonum