Fitting laminated end trims to laminated worktop - how to cut/shape?

I'm about to fit the end trims to my laminated worktops in the kitchen. I have been supplied with laminated strips to be ironed onto a PVA coating on the end of the worktops. But the trims are several mm wider/thicker than the 38mm thickness of the worktops.

Trimming the length and shaping the rolled edge is easy enough but what is the best way to trim the surplus width? Should I leave a small edge proud to act as a drip edge below the end of the worktop - the end of the worktop projects about 2cm beyond the cupboard - or should I trim it to be flush all round?

Should I fit it and then trim or trim and then fit? Scissors cut through it easily enough but won't be an option once I've fixed it in place so what is the best tool to cut/shape and reduce thickness before or after fixing?

Thanks, Tim.

Reply to
Tiny Tim

If you trim and then fit it won't be exact. I fitted mine and then filed it to the exact size. If you leave a drip edge, there is always the chance it will get caught and come off some time in the future.

Reply to
Hybrid

Yes as Hybrid says, fit and then trim with a file.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

In message , Tiny Tim writes

Yes, always trim flush, otherwise it will invariably snag on something and chip.

Glue on full size and trim later. I use a very sharp plane to remove/shape the bulk of the overhang, then finish with fine wet'n'dry paper wrapped round a flat block of wood. Always work at a shallow angle to the worktop surface, and with the w'n'd along or inwards to the worktop. Never apply force that will risk opening up the glue joint.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

Or stand a worktop offcut on the edging and run Stanley round the edge.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Thanks for the replies. There is a good 5mm surplus so I'll rough trim with scissors and then file/sand the edges to perfection.

Cheers, Tim.

Reply to
Tiny Tim

I stick the trim on with evo-stik then when fully dry use a wide sharp chisel to trim it to size. Then use a sanding block with fine sandpaper at a slight angle to finish it off.

Reply to
daddyfreddy