Fitting Gas pipes under the floor

I've got to run a 28mm copper pipe from the front to the back of my house so I can install a Combi Boiler, It will have to lie under the floor boards - is it O.K to lie it on the sleeper walls and betwean the joists (3"x2") - I mean has it got to be a certain distance below the floorboards? Any thing else I might need to know apart from getting a corgi fitter to do it?. Cheers. Martin

Reply to
sourpuss

Who is going to know unless you take out an advert in the local paper. Just make sure it's secure and not moving about, and it's protected. Common sense comes in to it.

Reply to
Ian C

Call me old-fashioned, but I much prefer black iron barrel for gas, particularly under floors. Won't get confused with any other services, and will repell the stray nail pointed in it's direction in the future.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

That's what British Gas did in my house some years ago, and all the houses down the road, when they moved all the gas meters outside whilst also replacing the gas main down the road. They installed 22mm which wasn't enough, and I upgraded it to

28mm later.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

don't quite undertand, what are sleeper walls and if it can go between the joists just fix it to the joist with clips

and if it crosses the joists you can get clips that fit under the joists thats supposint the joists are wood!

Reply to
Gav

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 22:10:03 +0100, Gav wrote (in article ):

Walls that go across a room part way across under the floor and provide extra support for the joists.

Quite often, they have a part open structure to allow ventilation and a pipe could be run through one of the gaps.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

A friend had a house in Harrow with a suspiciously bouncy livingroom floor. I had to go under it one day to replace a CH pump. Instead of sleeper walls it just had rough piles of bricks vaguely mortared together.

Many years earlier a new iron gas pipe had been run in, someone had knocked over the pier in the middle of the floor 'cos it was in the way of an easy pipe run.

Talking to other people in the road those that had been under the livingroom floor had mostly found the same thing.

Reply to
Guy King

Sleeper walls are what the joists are sat on in the middle of the room

Reply to
sourpuss

The pipe must be adequately supported. Under a floor I'd make sure it's not actually waving about. I'd also sleeve it (e.g. bit of gash 32mm plastic waste pipe) where it would lie on masonry, to protect it from corrosion.

Reply to
John Stumbles

The main difficulties are getting the 28mm pipe under the floor without getting dirt into the ends of the pipe. This means that you have to use smallish sections and more joins. if you can get the pipe in through an air brick from outside then you will have an easier time.

Clip the pipe, keep it away from masonry.

Read BS 6891 (see below).

Reply to
Ed Sirett