Fitting 1.5 bowl sink and drainer into base unit problem

I am installing a kitchen from wickes.

I have one of those plasticy resiny modern 1.5 bowl with drainer sinks to go in hole in worktop and sit in base unit housing.

I have tried to sit the sink unit into the base unit just to see how it fits and it doesn't!

It sinks into the unit a couple of inches, then jams as the hole is not large enough.

It is a 600 mm base unit. It is the correct type according to everything I have read.

I take it, I am going to have to cut away some of the back panel, as I can't see any other way to get the sink unit to fit.

I was expecting that it would just slot into the base.

Any advice please?

I cannot progress until I find the correct and best procedure to solve this.

dog-man

Reply to
dog-man

Perhaps I should have made it clearer that only the 2 x bowls are supposed to sit within the base unit. The flat drainer will almost just sit on the work top above a space for a dishwasher.

dog-man

Reply to
dog-man

Is the issue with the front - back distance of the 600 base unit? - the reason I ask is that some base units have a strip of chipboard (say 18mm x

70mm) across the back of the top of the unit with the 70mm side horizontal and this needs to be either cut or repositioned "vertically" at the back below sink level. The alternative is a 600mm under oven housing which doesn't have the restriction.

PeterK

Reply to
PeterK

It's not unusual to have to butcher base units under sinks. Providing they're bolted to complete units either side, or fixed to an end panel, stability isn't normally compromised.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

At the top of the base unit, front, there is a cross member 56.5cm x

8.1 cm approx. At the rear of the unit, there is the almost full back board. It is just 3 cm lower than the side panels.

This base unit, is deignated as either a base unit, sink unit or hob unit. (multi purpose without any adjustments or extra pieces)

It is as selected by the wickes planner.

I don't think there is any way I can reposition the cross member at the front unless I was to drill some holes, but I will look at this option.

I tend to think I will have to lower the back board by about half and give the exposed chipboard edge a good coat of varnish.

dog-man

Reply to
dog-man

Ooops!

Should have said "Yes", it is an issue with the space between front to back. Side to side seems ok.

Reply to
dog-man