Fireplace query

Hello, I am preparing a fireplace to receive a gas firebox (Stovax Victorian Tiled insert with Gazco convector). I am building a rectangular brick opening to the dimensions of the box and was going to render the surface to seal any gaps and provide a flat surface to seal against the cast-iron insert. Although not exposed to naked flame the opening should be fire-resistant. Is this true of a concrete render? Will cracks open up with time allowing fumes to escape? Thanks, Ian

Reply to
IanW

There are products on the market that are packaged similar to silicone sealants. They are specially formulated to resist heat to around

2000F. You can do a search for furnace cement or non-combustible silicate cement on the web. If you have any trouble finding it let us know and we will check with our suppliers.

Cheers

Robert

Reply to
Robert