Finishing sanded floorboards

Hi all,

I just finished sanding the floorboards in my lounge, and as I had expected, the boards are is a very poor condition (gaps, largish holes, etc) and will require a lot of filling (probably PVA glue + sawdust mixed - would wood filler work here as well?).

Whilst I prefer the natural finish, in order to try and make the imperfections less visible I decided to apply some wood dye prior to varnishing.

My plan is to use antique pine dye

, floor sealer
and Ronseal Diamond Hard varnish.

I have used the sealer before on a similar job, and it saved me at least one coat of varnish (most welcome as it cost less than a third of the price of the varnish). The result was great, so I am looking to repeat the process if possible.

My questions therefore are:

- Does it make sense?

- In which order would I apply them (dye, then sealer, then varnish)?

- Anything to worry about such as a reaction between the different substances that I should consider? I will of course wait the recommended time between coats.

Many thanks in advance.

J.

Reply to
none

Not exactly related, but have you heard of Os Color (correct spelling - it's foreign) Hardwax oil.

I have used it on several sanded floors and it is excellent. 100% environmentally friendly too as all natural product.

Let me know if you cannot find details on it.

Rob

Reply to
Kalico