Finding a good electrician in Manchester to rewire a house

Hi there,

Sorry, I know this is a DIY group. If anyone can suggest a better group for the post I'd be happy to hear.

I'm after an electrician to re-wire our (smallish) house. This has to be done to comply with the mortgage terms and needs doing anyway. It has to be done by someone NICEIC qualified. I only , moved to the area

2 years ago, have never owned a home before and I can't find anyone available at all, let alone someone recommended by anyone (which I'd much rather do).

If you can help, thanks.

Tim

Reply to
Biguana

The requirement for NICEIC qualified is unreasonable, and you should get that changed to "complying with building regulations". However, you are probably running in to the repercussions from Part P introduction, which has caused a lot of electricians to cease doing domestic work. There was a shortage even before that happened...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Why?

There is no such thing as NICEIC qualified. Its just one of a number of registration schemes. The NICEIC is a company run for its own benefit and not for the benefit of its members or consumers.

The following will list all NICEIC registered electricians:

Fred

Hi there,

Thanks for quick responses. Perhaps I've got my wires crossed (sorry :o). The acronym on the mortgage required could have been something other than NICEIC. I'll post again when I've double checked.

I've already been down the entire list on that site for "Manchester", specifying "Domestic". Weirdly the only ones that actually answered don't do domestic. Only whole estates and council work. I don't have a whole estate.

Except one that can do work with no notice (and I got the impression they mostly do tenanted houses and flats) which leaves me wondering why they have no work scheduled? Or are they definitely OK if they're NICEIC?

Can anyone actually recommend anyone?

Seems like the government is desperately trying to get everyone into Uni, which means a) People have to pay for their own education and b) There is a shortage of decent tradesmen. And then they are saying no-one can do their own DIY and putting all the electricians off domestic work.

I don't mean to be political on a DIY group (who said "media studies degrees"?). I just need to get my house re-wired.

Thanks,

Tim

Reply to
Biguana

I know this sounds Irish, but if all else fails do you know a good plumber? I had a plumber in to revamp the central heating (Manchester area)and he had an electrician in to do the electrical work. Just a thought. Failing that go to a local builders or plumbers merchants, (for example Atlas in Stretford) they often have cards displayed. Happy hunting.

Reply to
Broadback

Any electrician who can self certify his work for Part P should be able to do that. Wether you can get that past a mortgage company who appear to be shorted sighted and unsure themselves about Part P, is another thing.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Yes, they will have stopped on January 1st I expect.

Plumbers can't get electricians now either.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hi there,

Having checked the paperwork it definitely is "NICEIC approved" (although the mortgage company has written NEIC on quite a few bits of the paperwork?). I might try asking our plumber.

Cheers,

Tim

Reply to
Biguana

Okay. Thinking out of the box time. Somebody here mentioned that for gas people you only need one person in the company actually approved and anybody can do the work. Is this true for electrics ?

If so should we all set up a limited liabilty company, based in IoM and with with assets of £1, and one of us get the dreaded NICEIC approval so we can all sign off each others work ?

Just a thought

Mike

Reply to
Mike