Fence post question

Hi

A number of my neighbours' gardens back onto a side of my garden. Between me and most of them there are wooden fence panels between the ends of their gardens and my property, but there is one where there is no such fencing, and I want to erect a fence.

On both sides of their property, at the boundary, there are concrete posts that support fence panels running down the sides of their garden.

The concrete posts both have grooves in them that face into my property, but not on the sides where I would put panels.

So how would I be able to fit panels to those posts? Can I legally drill into their posts on my side?

Cheers

Reply to
JIP

With their permission or it's criminal damage. With no permission you'll have to have your own posts.

TBH, drilling into these posts, if they're the sort I can imagine, might cause future spalling.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I don't think so (there was some discussion of something similar on uk.legal.moderated recently). It would potentially be criminal damage.

But what's wrong with asking the neighbour? It would be a pretty miserable person who said no. I expect you are aware that standard concrete fence posts are a reasonably strong "mix" and have steel reinforcement in them, it's usually a "hairpin" bent into a U, so that there are four vertical bars, one near each corner. Hence drilling in the centre of the face is usually clear of the rebar.

There is the potential to crack the concrete and expose the steel to corrosion if you get it wrong.

Reply to
newshound

I do intend speaking with them, but wanted some input first.

Thanks

Reply to
JIP

Perhaps clamp a few of these

to the posts and then use the brackets to fix the fence panel.

If you do use this method be aware that there are different size brackets for different designs of concrete posts. Carefully check dimensions before ordering.

I have used oversized (for my posts) brackets to attach a 12mm plank of wood to the 'third' side of the concrete post and then attached items with screws to this plank.

Reply to
alan_m

They do seem to sell a pack for that purpose ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not seen them before, they look ideal. And removable without damage, so should be safe even with a "bad" neighbour as long as you don't actually pull his post down.

Reply to
newshound

no. Party Wall Etc Act.

An informed neighbour would spot why drilling into concrete uprights is a foolish idea and say no. Postfix brackets should do the job - I've not used them - though their claim that they make ideal gifts is funny.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Thanks for that - seems like good idea.