Felt roof repair

Ive just noticed that an entire strip of felt has blown off my 10ft shed roof. Its the strip on the apex of the shed. There does not appear to be underlay. So bare boards are exposed and getting wet.

Should i use "Torch on" or traditional felt with nails.

All imput appreciated

parts

Reply to
christopher

Happened to me last year. I just nailed a new strip of felt to it, in a fetching, non-matching green. And swore that I'd re-felt the whole shed this summer. Yah, right! ;-)

Maybe once the garage is finished!!

Reply to
John Whitworth

Neither. The self-stick stuff is generally better than Torch-on (but you have to be right first time!) and I'd use the non-sticky but now fibre-reinforced felts for going over an apex. That stuff isn't your grandad's old crack-prone felt.

Really though, I'd probably get a strip of the rigid bituminous (Ondoline?) ridge capping.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If the ridge felt is coming off, what is the state of the rest of it ? Having recently roofed a new shed with Onduline - and I 've used felt extensively over the years - I would suggest you look at just covering the existing roof with it. Very easy to apply (an afternoon's work), no glues, etc. and no more expensive than felt.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Where did you find onduline at that price? When I looked I went with good quality felt as much cheaper.

To the OP, the other option is to stick felt down using cold bitumen glue (about =A35-6 a gallon iirc). You get no holes with this.

NT

Reply to
NT

Holes caused by nails in shed felt are self sealing surely?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I guess it depends on whether the nails all stay down or not. The holes on mine arent all watertight, hence I put them where it doesnt matter.

NT

Reply to
NT