Extra long coach bolts, or similar

Is there a source of extremely long coach bolts or something similar? I need 24" (and 25" would be better). I've tried places like Toolstation and Screwfix with no luck.

I suppose I could use threaded rod and make some sort of head (disks of metal welded/soldered/bolted on?) but a neat integral slightly domed head would be preferable.

Many thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

polygonum

Rod, many thanks for the link but unless I'm missing something (which is entirely likely) their maximum length is 300mm.

Reply to
Bert Coules

You are missing my eyes and brain going sqiffy as I eat dinner and type one-handed. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Ah. Well, thanks for the suggestion anyhow. You shouldn't have interrupted your dinner but I appreciate the fact that you did.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Threaded studding comes in one metre lengths. A nut on both ends might do you?

Reply to
stuart noble

I've considered that, but for this particular application I need either a neat visible head or the equivalent of a head which can be sunk into a 15mm board - hence my wondering about an attached disk of some kind.

What I'm making is a suspended shelf which will be fairly close to the ceiling. The bolts or threaded rods will pass through the plasterboard and up through timbers fastened across the joists in the loft, and the lower stretches will be shrouded with tubing. So nuts and washers will be fine in the loft, but the ends of the rods which go through the shelf will be visible and it would be pleasant if they were neat and fairly unobtrusive.

Reply to
Bert Coules

How much load are you expecting it to take? You could heat up the end of a length of threaded rod and "pean" it over to round off and flare the end wide enough to hold a large washer.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

visible head or the equivalent of a head which can be sunk into a

ceiling. The bolts or threaded rods will pass through the plasterboard

stretches will be shrouded with tubing. So nuts and washers will

be visible and it would be pleasant if they were neat and fairly

What about using sleeve nuts?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

You could copy the technique that Fred demonstrated about a minute into this episode:

John Rumm

Much better idea than mine! ;-).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Good idea. And added to my vocabulary.

Reply to
polygonum

I did exactly this job last year. I used M6 threaded bar shrouded with

7mm ID anodised aluminium tube. To support intermediate shelves I used M6 hex couplers plus a washer. The shelves had a front lip for strength that protruded 15mm below the shelf under-surface, and this hid the stainless nuts and washers at the end on the rod. It worked well and looks great. Even if the lip hadn't hidden them it wouldn't have mattered; they don't look bad at all. I suppose if you're bothered you could coven them with a brown plastic thing. Incidentally I found the ability to adjust the nuts at the bottom essential.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

3' 30" ish but a joy to watch as always

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

neat visible head or the equivalent of a head which can be sunk into a

ceiling. The bolts or threaded rods will pass through the plasterboard

stretches will be shrouded with tubing. So nuts and washers will

will be visible and it would be pleasant if they were neat and fairly

or tee nuts? or dome nuts?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

neat visible head or the equivalent of a head which can be sunk into a

ceiling. The bolts or threaded rods will pass through the plasterboard

stretches will be shrouded with tubing. So nuts and washers will

will be visible and it would be pleasant if they were neat and fairly

Or pronged nut inserts. Or route some giant square wooden nuts, epoxying them to the rod & shelf.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

What a bloke huh? I wish he was helping out on my house refurb!

Reply to
GMM

I'm in the process of doing something similar just now. The threaded rod is screwed into the woodwork with a coach bolt welded to the end. The nut at the bottom is recessed into the framework and the rod itself is hidden by a length of 19mm chrome wardrobe hanging rail. I was so pleased, I took a photo!

I still need to decide whether the underside counts as "ceiling" or "wall" for paint colour.

I'm a bit worried by the comment about needing to adjust the nut now - mine's all boxed in. The shelf is straight though and I can't see anything moving...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

I was going to say the same, also the eBay stuff presumably from China is remarkably cheap. In the past I have both brazed and peened studding into nuts to make a fixed "head" at one end. If you are better at welding than I am you could put a puddle of weld on top of a washer at the end of a length of studding to make a sort of domed head. Be aware that a lot of the studding and washers are zinc plated, so watch out for the fume!

Reply to
newshound

What's that line from Terry Pratchett?

With an axe and a forest, a dwarf can make a forge. With a forge, he can make small tools. With small tools he can make, well just about anything.

Reply to
newshound