Long bolts.

I need 240mm M8 coach bolts (or roofing bolts). These do not seem to be available.

If I use studding (threaded bar), how can I make a coach bold styne domed head on one end?

Any other ideas? These to join concrete uprights of sectional building.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Doming it should not be too much of a problem torch or gas welding equipment and something you can use as an anvil, making the squared bit will require set and dolly. If all you want is a head then welding a nut on the end of the studding is probably the easiest solution.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

There's them:

Not exactly what you want, and there may be cheaper suppliers!

Reply to
Roger Hayter

These do exist:

But the usual suspect will only have 240mm in stock for M10 and M12.

What's wrong with studding, nuts and large washers? The fact there is a square hole doesn't mean you have to use it.

Coach bolts can be difficult to remove once the head starts turning. As I found out recently! :-(

Reply to
Fredxx

Or, depending on the diameter of the hole, join some studding to cheap / std coach bolts with some 'stud connectors' (locked up with a hard locking compound if necessary)?

Apparently Crispy Bacon doesn't want my advice because I'm a wanker. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I don't see how that is helpful. Perhaps Chris can advise.

If those connecting nuts could enter the hole, then I'm sure the OP could have used larger diameter coach screws. Even ToolSatan has M12 x

240m coach bolts

You are, but since you've tried I thought I would reply so he could see your 'advice'.

Reply to
Fredxx

Weld a nut on the end, and add enough extra weld so that you can round it over with a grinder.

Another option - forming a head on a the end of some rod:

From about 1:45:

(and if you have not see the video series, the whole set of them are worth watching!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Thank you. I have some studding (why is Toolstation & Screwfix so dear for this stuff?), so I'm going to use it for a temporary bodge while I work on the roof trusses. Now it's bliddy raining. I have found online M8 x 240mm coach bolts can be had, and I only need 8 or so, I'll get them in the week.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The square shank under the head doesn't matter, roofing bolts would be OK. I wanted a domed head to match the others. I'll order online as people point out these can be had. Galvanized woud be nice, not BZP (ach ptui!).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Was thinking of that but what a PITA.

That's a nice vice. That's a very nice vice.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Everything is available.

I have an Italian hardware store, that stocks all sorts of weird stuff. If I need a #7x1" wood screw, they have it. The big box stores never stock non-standard sizes.

I have a fastener store, and they'll just flip open the catalog and order in for you. A couple days later, you'll have your item. That's the place I go to get stainless fasteners (because they're stock).

There's also a machine shop near me, and they can order in for you too. There's no customer area there, but at least you can walk in and talk to someone. That's where I go, to get taps or dies, and expect them to be a stock item.

When the insurance comes, and they're trying to figure out why the building fell over, that's not the time for the threaded rods to poke out from the rubble.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Even if you don't have a welder, you can secure the nut fairly tidyly by allowing the studding to protrude a little and peen it over with a ball-pein hammer.

Reply to
newshound

I was more impressed by the torch!

Reply to
newshound

Heating the end with a blowtorch would probably help as well... (especially if you have a MAPP gas torch)

Reply to
John Rumm

Speaking of MAPP torches.. mine is very hard to ignite on the trigger. However, I inadvertently pointed the burner upwards recently and it ignited perfectly!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

True (although I find you get a secure fit even without if you do it properly). Another option even with a propane torch is to set the studding slightly less than flush, and apply silver solder (with suitable flux first, of course). Which reminds me, I am almost out of silver solder paste, I need to get some more.

Reply to
newshound

Got them. Best price turned out to be Forest of Dean Fasteners, £0.75p each.

But they went and sent them *signed for*! Ach!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

signed-for has been treated as not-signed-for round here since covid.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks. Bookmarked.

Components Direct can be good, too, although I looked for you at the time and they didn't have anything.

Reply to
Bob Eager