External sockets

Of course. I installed my outdoor one before the new split load CU so forgot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The requirement for shock protection is 30mA indoors or out...

The RCD in a split load CU should be 30mA non-delayed. The 100mA time delayed CU RCD is when it's a "whole house" RCD fitted when the earth loop impedance cannot be guaranteed to be low enough.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Or no more than 30mA. I actually went for a 10mA one on my outdoor sockets. They're never used for more than one thing at a time. I have tested it with the hedge trimmer ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D\

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/

So in summary, I should:-

- check the source of the burglar alarm cable that I can see

- check the rating of that cable to determin that it is appropriate for carrying lawnmower type loads

- buy something like this

to add RCD protection to the external sockets

- buy something like this

go outside

Or

- get an electrician in to do it for me!

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

yup

yup

The table here:

let you identify the cable from its external dimensions.

Probably

Except from TLC since it will be cheaper! ;-)

Well you could, but this is a DIYable one for a novice if you follow the advice that has been given.

It only gets a bit tricky if the feed you have is already on the house RCD. Then you need to decide if you want to have the house RCD trip when a fault occurs in the garden. If you do go this route, then make sure that you have a double pole isolator on the inside to allow the external socket to be disconnected should it cause a problem.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup - just checked and mine is. All the places I wanted protected by RCD were already done before I changed the CU. So I suppose I could remove some. Although they don't seem to be causing any problems. Nor have I had the main RCD 'nuisance' trip so far.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So in summary, I should:-

-

- buy something like this

go outside

Just one point. The clipsall socket is not waterproof when there is a socket in it. Some makes are waterproof with the socket in it.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

or plug even ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I have just checked. I am still bald and not blonde so I blame the computer:)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth